Walking route, Stirling to Fort William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neil9216 27 Dec 2015
Hi
I've been thinking of trying to put a route together from Stiring to Fort william.
For no other reason than I live in Stirling and would like to attempt a multi day route from my door step.

I,m looking for any route suggestions.

My aim is to keep away from roads as much as possible, the first 2 days that may prove nigh on impossible tho.

The main stages will be Stirling to Calander, Callander to Balquider and over into Glen dochart then over again into Glen Lochy as I want to keep away from the west highland way, then I aim to head over into glen Lyon, then cross over to the bottom of ranoch moor and follow the railway to Corrour station, from there head to Fortwilliam via glen nevis.

On Memory map i can more or less link up each section by sticking to cycle paths or trails.

I would be grateful for any feed back from any one that has walked any of the these sections,

My main concerns are getting from Stirling to Callander,
I want to Start at the Auld brig then head into the Cornton and possibly follow the forth and then the Teith all the way to callander,

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Then once I reach the railway at the bottom of Ranoch Moor, does anyone know if there is any kind of path that follows the railway

Cheers

Neil

llechwedd 28 Dec 2015
In reply to neil9216:

Think I'd head off North before hitting Strathyre and head along Glen Ample. That'll take you to the Glen Ogle Cycletrack, and off to Killin. Then you'll have to decide whether you want to heather bash or take the road. West or East. You're going against the grain of the landscape so there'll be doglegs whichever route you choose. I think if you're seduced by a straightline Balquidder crossing to Glen Dochart, your route North after it will be a challenge.
The Glen Lochay road is scenic and peaceful. If you take it and you're feeling strong, you might include a Meall Ghaordaidh traverse over to the power station at Stronuich as a way of making that munro of interest. You could play the same tactic for the munro Meall Buidhe, North of the Giorra Dam, which would give you Bridge of Gaur ( if you've chosen West from Killin, you probably don't want to head along the road to Glen Lyon's Innerwick for an alternative way over to Rannoch).
From BoG, head West along the road towards Rannoch station. I'd use the track East of the Allt Eigeach which takes you to Loch Ossian past the ruin of the old Corrour lodge, rather than walk the rail track or bog hop. You might also have fun crossing the watershed to Glen Nevis if things are in spate.
It's not the most aesthetically pleasing of routes I've just tacked together. I guess it just depends on how you want to plan things.
In reply to neil9216:
If you drop Callander for Aberfoyle you could head West from Stirling over the Touch Hills then Gargunnock, drop to Buchlyvie and cross Flanders Moss to Aberfoyle. Then over various routes to get to Balquidder. I have explored several of the riverside areas on the route out to Callander but they are not easily connected with several 'Private' estates blocking continuity. Another idea is to head up to Bridge of Allan then follow the Allan water to Dunblane and pick up the old railway line to Doune and up over the hills around Argaty and Braes of Doune to get to Callander.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...