Synthetic belay type jackets....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ogre 23 Dec 2015
I'm thinking of getting a synthetic belay type jacket. For wearing at the crag, pub, maybe sometimes even belaying. I'm planning on spending £100-150 ish

So.... Which one....?

Are Haglofs barrier ll any good?

Thanks
 k_os 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

If you're a large, there's a Patagonia DAS being sold here - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=631288

I've got one, found it amazing, they size up quite big to fit over everything. It's not svelte alpinist (at least the old one that I have isn't, the newer style is a lot more fitted), but it stands up to what you throw at it. Had mine close to 10 years and it's still going strong (aside from a replacement zip last year that was done for free by Patagonia...)
 Fraser 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

Rab Generator. Mine's never off my back...ever!
 jethro kiernan 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-grey-warm-jacket-id_8327120.html

Just got one of these and £30 from decathlon and it's fine, would have got the Das parka above from Steve otherwise, another winner from decathlon
 joe.wahab 24 Dec 2015
In reply to jethro kiernan:

+1 for decathlon's offering.
 AlanLittle 24 Dec 2015
In reply to joe.wahab:

Another + for Decathlon. Great value for money. Careful about the sizing: I bought mine as a belay jacket for throwing on over other stuff, and had to go for an XL where I would normally get L. L probably would have been fine for normal about town wear. Have bivvied in it, didn't die.

Haglöfs/Arcteryx have better cut, nicer feeling shell materials etc., but I generally only buy their stuff if I see it heavily reduced. I have an Atom LT jacket and a Barrier vest, both bought in sales, both superb pieces of kit.
 Jasonic 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

+1 Haglofs - has been to various places from pub to artic norway!
OP ogre 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Jasonic:

Thanks all.... I really want a DAS but I'm on!y small, maybe medium over layers. I'll look at decathlon too.
 Jasonic 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

Unsure differences in warmth I went for Haglofs as longer cut fitted better.
Fit varies even with same brand so worth trying things on.
 Street 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

Rab Photon X? Can get it for slightly over your budget but I really rate mine!
 Timmd 24 Dec 2015

> Just got one of these and £30 from decathlon and it's fine, would have got the Das parka above from Steve otherwise, another winner from decathlon

I don't know if I'm just hard on gear but every bit of Decathlon gear I've ever had which has had a zip in it has failed within a couple of years, with them all being coil zips rather than vislon or toothed type zips.

It was when conservation volunteering involving grasping things to myself and grappling with stuff a fair bit, or having the gear getting compressed in my rucksack the rest of the time, which is perhaps harder on gear than recreation outdoors. but it's half put me off any Decathlon gear with coil zips.
Post edited at 13:01
 MtnGeekUK 24 Dec 2015

Was it this price in-store?
Seems to be £45 ish online now...
 Murd 24 Dec 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

orange one was £ 17.99 earlier
 jethro kiernan 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Murd:
Paid £30 for the orange one about 2 weeks ago 😊
 John Kelly 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I don't really expect decathalon kit to outlast the top spec'ed kit but I bought three adequate waterproof jackets for under 20 quid. If it's proper lashing down I put on two, keeps it out a bit longer, currently trashing another as a climbing outer layer- never worry about ragging them, great
 MtnGeekUK 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Murd:

When I last looked, was showing as out of stock. Have you got a link please?
 MtnGeekUK 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Murd:

So gutted...

Looked at these literally a couple of days ago - priced at 35, thought I'd get one after Christmas. In the meantime, reduced to 17.99 and then sold out!!

Will be keeping my eye very closely on the grey one now...
In reply to Timmd:

> every bit of Decathlon gear I've ever had which has had a zip in it has failed within a couple of years

I think you're either unlucky, or heavy on gear.

Decathlon use YKK zips, like most other manufacturers. Checking two Decathlon down jackets, they both use 5C zips, as does my Alpkit Filo. Checking a light Decathlon soft shell jacket, it too uses a 5C zip, as do a Rab VR Flex jacket and a Patagonia Ready Mix jacket, both similar weight jackets.

Yes, I do have too much stuff...
 Timmd 27 Dec 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
I guess it was pretty constant use for my jacket, which is understandable when it's been fairly roughly stuffed into 'sacks when it's not being worn, and covered in mud while grappling with things, but the zips in my waterproof trousers went after a few weeks of use, and I've never got round to going and grumbling.

Have since sewn the sides together at intervals to provide venting, and am going to get some tenacious tape to make them waterproof again, having sewn up other rips and repairs too.

Guess it's a mixture of bad luck and heavy use and coil zips?
Post edited at 22:00
 Mark Haward 28 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

Apart from pub, taken as read, exactly what will you be looking for in the jacket? A lightweight, packs small one that attaches to harness so it can be taken on summer routes. In this case a 60g primaloft gold. Could go minimialist gilet type, this can be worn when climbing too. Packs tiny so great on multipitch routes / alpine and can be a mid layer in colder conditions. Some have reinforced attachment points. Or full length zip jacket, without hood if you are likely to already be wearing a hooded top such as a softshell. Or go for full hood, preferably helmet compatible.
Next step up could be ME Fitzroy or similar around 90 - 120 gr primaloft gold. Bit overkill for summer use but perfect in winter. Then the big boys such as DAS.
So many choices, have fun!
 Adj 28 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

They get some stick but take a look at Black Diamond's offerings if you haven't decided yet. Their Stance Jacket is one of my favourite pieces of clothing. It's bigger/heavier, not particularly packable but it's warm and the cut is perfect (Black Diamond's forte in my opinion). It's ideal middle ground between tech and around town use. I know I sound like a salesman. I'm really not.
 StuDoig 28 Dec 2015
In reply to ogre:

Yet another vote for the DAS parka - a great belay jacket! Haglofs barrier II would be fine for a summer jacket, but I'd want something more substantial for winter. It's more like a replacement for a 300 polartec fleece. PHD Minimus is excellent as well, but again light for winter. Of the brands I've used, I'd go with PHD if I was buying a new belay jacket. The cut is excellent, light and exceedingly warm.

All of that depends on your exact use though! Personally I have the minimus and barrier II as warm active layers, but use the DAS as my standing around (not) getting cold jacket.

Barrier on it's own I use for multi-pitch rock and alpine rock.

Barrier II is a great top for what it is designed for!

Cheers,

Stu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...