waterproof trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kestrelspl 22 Dec 2015
Hi,

I've just sent back a pair of mountain equipment rainfall trousers because they were very baggy in the legs. Does anyone know of a pair of waterproof trousers that are closer fitting at up to 70-80 pounds? A full length zip would be desirable too.

I had a quick look at the marmot precip, but couldn't get them in my size (32" waist 31" leg) from Cotswolds where I have vouchers and a discount. I would be willing to search wider for them if people have good things to say.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
 SenzuBean 22 Dec 2015
In reply to kestrelspl:

Montane Astro Ascent can sometimes be had for around £100 (half the RRP!). They have a full-length zip. In terms of fit, they are not too baggy, but are also not as close-fitting as some other models (usually the ones with not so great zips). I have been wearing gaiters over the outside which keeps them nice and close on my lower legs, and also ensures that if I misstep, it's only my gaiters getting a hole and the relatively more expensive over-trousers will survive. I also bought the Y-suspender which stops them from falling down all the time.

Don't know if that helps or not
OP kestrelspl 22 Dec 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Thanks, they look like what I'm trying to find, definitely tighter than the ME rainfall looking at the picture. Unfortunately the cheapest I can see them for is £140 which is a little over budget.
 SenzuBean 22 Dec 2015
In reply to kestrelspl:

> Thanks, they look like what I'm trying to find, definitely tighter than the ME rainfall looking at the picture. Unfortunately the cheapest I can see them for is £140 which is a little over budget.

This appears to be cheaper: http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon297/montane-astro-ascent-event-outdoo...

Not sure about postage though. But yeah, they're great trousers and I really rate them. I suppose the full-length zip is not really necessary if they're only gonna be used in winter (when you probably will start the day with them on), but I have put them on a number of times in summer and always appreciated being able to stand there and put the trousers on, rather than trying to cram a muddy/stony boot into the innards and hoping I don't tear anything.
OP kestrelspl 22 Dec 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Thanks, that is a better price, will see if I can see anything a little cheaper, but may have to accept it's going to cost more to get what I want.

Anyone have any experience of the precips?
 Timmd 22 Dec 2015
In reply to kestrelspl:

Prompted by your thread I had google and came across these, I find myself thinking about how well I managed with none goretex or event over trousers before the came on my radar, and these look well thought out in how they can be vented using the press studs.

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Berghaus/MensDelugeOvertrousers-LongLe...

I actually have some nearly full zip Rab event over trousers, but I'm thinking these may be more functional.
 Timmd 22 Dec 2015
In reply to kestrelspl:
Experimenting with my nearly full length Rab ones, they're fine to put on wearing boots without crampons on, but with crampons on they're more challenging, but not entirely impossible, just very nearly - and probably not safe if perched precariously.

I remember a drawback I used to find with my youth - teenage hood full length zip waterproof trousers was trying to figure out what was going on if I happened to pull them out of my rucksack with both zips fully undone, in getting them orientated right way round and not inside out to zip them together. Was something to remember for next time I pulled them on when it was blowy and rainy.
Post edited at 18:44
Removed User 22 Dec 2015
In reply to kestrelspl:

Long since gave up with over trousers. Have used Paramo Casadas for many but then got a set of Cioch perfect fit trousers in the same material. Cost a fair bit with all extra reinforced patches but well worth it. Chuffin' marvelous!
 nathan79 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I've got a couple of pairs of Deluges. Great bang for your buck, one pair cost £30, one pair were £25. A fairly close fit I'd say though I've got failry chunky legs, and they come in a short leg length which would suit OP.
 guy127917 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I have used the Deluges in some pretty awful wind/rain and in the Alps they have been absolutely smashing. I have recently bought some Arcteryx fancy things but more for fit/shape and bib upper than waterproofing or breathability.
 nutme 23 Dec 2015
I found Deluges to be most baggy overtrousers I ever had. But besides that very good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...