Doing Christmas outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbyclaudie 20 Dec 2015

Looking for nice hills for children. They liked Catbells, but scramble at top bit hard with new baby couple of years ago. Still have new baby, so looking for something not too scrambleish. Shutlingsloe, peaks, Roseberry Toppin, N. Yorkshire, Belles Knot, Lakes. They all look bit like tiny Matterhorn (so says my Meek 100 family adventure book anyway.....I suspect the Matterhorn does not look quite like a hill in Yorkshire, but who knows. ) Any info on what they are like? Will I need a map etc. or can I just walk right up them from car park like Catbells? Thanks for info
Post edited at 22:56
 Brass Nipples 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Climbyclaudie:

Mam Tor? Not far from car park and superb views

veteye 20 Dec 2015

Probably best for you to go and do a reconnaissance on your own before taking the family if you are not able to judge from standard guide books. Otherwise do your homework with the guidebooks.
Climbyclaudie 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
This is the one Ornsm. I have never done it....people keep telling me to. Thankyou!Now, just how to make a Christmas dinner on a campstove and we are sorted
Post edited at 22:55
 climberchristy 21 Dec 2015

Roseberry topping is a lovely little hill. Easy walk. Very obvious from car park. No scrambly bits. As you say it looks a bit like a baby matterhorn but a bit of an easier proposition! Views are good inc the sea. Whatever you choose hope you and your family have a great day. Happy Christmas!
In reply to Climbyclaudie: We just published an article on family (and hangover) friendly manageable hills for Christmas. One of these might do you nicely: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=8021

aln 21 Dec 2015

There's a thread on ukc about that.
Climbyclaudie 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Dan, Ingleborough looks good...thanks, we may do that tomorrow!
 Wainers44 21 Dec 2015
In The Lakes Castle Crag Borrowdale is a nice short walk out of Grange and the path is pretty clear. Lots of interest on the way up.

For a "wow" factor view, Dale Head from Honister is a good one. Watch the quarry on the Left on the way up (easy to avoid). Up and down the same way. Cafe's in Buttermere are great afterwards.

The busier "family" ones include ones like Helm Crag out of Grasmere.

You should have a map to hand for any you do really, especially this time of year! Have a good one.

Babika 21 Dec 2015

We did Roseberry Topping with my youngest aged 3 and he managed it, taking it slowish.

Fabulous hill - and a few little rock scramble walls when you drop over the summit

He took a postcard into nursery the next day - it really looked like a baby Matterhorn!

Nice one; hope the weather's OK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...