Montane Minimus Hybrid??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 20 Dec 2015
Im looking to layer a Montane Minimus Hybrid over a ME Vulcan softshell but has anyone any idea how warm these are??? I have heard about primaloft and dont want a thin Down such as RAB Alpine but am looking for a synth substitute for a thin down to go over soft shell and under out gore tex layer for when it really bites......

Any suggestions for alternatives or experience of the minimus hybrid?
 PPP 20 Dec 2015
In reply to wannabeagoat:
Do you really need a synthetic jacket with a _waterproof_ membrane (Pertex Shield+, 20k mm hydrostatic head)? I can imagine that baselayer+softshell+primaloft insulation+waterproof membrane(Pertex Shield)+waterproof membrane(GTX) is going to hold all the sweat.

Is it not a belay jacket you are after? Mountain Equipment Fitzroy is probably the flagship model, though I never tried one. I can't tell you how warm your jacket needs to be, but something in between 60g and 100g (per square meter, but usually it just says 60g/100g/whatever) is pretty much standard.

After my own Rab Xenon jacket got that dirty that many washes did not help (been dropped into mud several times, sat in the rucksack in Dolomites/Scotland all the time, worn in crags, indoor walls, every day, etc.), I just look for something cheap that does the job. I obviously use it while eating (you stop moving -> you get colder -> you need a jacket on top) which does not help to keep it clean. I had two washes back to back and I have no idea what's going on with that jacket. Not too fused to get it cleaned professionally, but I probably should.
Post edited at 20:03
 HeMa 20 Dec 2015
In reply to wannabeagoat:

For what it's worth, I've used Cumulus Climalite pullover successfully here in Scandiland as well as in Scotland. Seemed to work out just fine. And if you're using smaller brainlids than the Sirocco, it can easily be dressed on hanging belays.

Since the conditions are colder here in Scandiland, but icefalls are prone to seeping. I also got a the Lowe ALpine something Alpha insulation jacket, works like a charm. Either as a belay jacket or also on its own.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...