Winter climbing rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gazza111 12 Dec 2015
Looking for a new rucksack suitable for winter climbing in the UK. Can any winter climbers recommend a quality brand which is suitable and fully functional. Looking for a good deal.
 climber34neil 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

As with most things the basic answer would be looking for the features that you want, try some on with a bit of weight in them (most decent shops should let you do this) and see what feels right for you. I personally think that keeping it simple is the best way, functional but simple back system, easy opening with gloves on, not to heavy, robust fabric etc. I did have a black Diamond axis 33 but found the back system that pivots a bit fussy and also adds weight and it is thought the guide style zip opening looked good until late I took it to the cairngorm , opened it and it promptly filled up with snow! So now I have a montane torque 40 which I find does the job for me so would recommend that. Deuter, pod, bd , blue ice etc all make good stuff though. You can often pick the torque 40 up for a good price
 Mal Grey 12 Dec 2015
In reply to climber34neil:

Yep, just received a Torque 40. Not used it yet, but impressed with the quality, most of the features, and the fit and comfort when loaded are superb on me. (5'10") The drawstrings are a bit weird, but otherwise excellent.

I got it here: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/clearance/UC111-2.html

climber34neil 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

You get used to the draw strings especially when you realise that they can be done one handed! Good price on that link as well
 Hawky 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:
I just bought a Patagonia ascentionist 45 ltr, feels solid and looks great
From berg freund for 60
Post edited at 21:42
 Pbob 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

Www.podsacs.co.uk

Job done

L.A. 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Pbob:
Job very much undone ! Apart from a few of the small size Pod Alpine 50s there is nothing left, nor is it likely that there will be anything in the future. See Stephen Reid's reply
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=630018&v=1#x8185866

To the OP. Mammut Trion Alpinist 28 or even the 40 could be worth a look for a comfortable, not too heavy yet super tough simple pack with everything pointing to quietly understated Swiss efficiency. Not that cheap though.
Post edited at 00:18
 olddirtydoggy 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

I'll second the Montane Torque 40. It's a bomber bit of kit and seems to sit nicely on most backs. I use a lighter pack in the warmer months but in winter the heavy kit comes out.
 angry pirate 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

I picked up a Lowe Alpine alpine attack 35:45 recently and have yet to use it in real anger but it's a great pack on first impressions. Loads of great features and generously sized too. Back system carries a load well and the hip belt stows cleverly if you want to bag it off for climbing. Much prefer it to a mate's osprey mutant 38.
 jezzah 13 Dec 2015
In reply to angry pirate:

I will echo the views of the Lowe Alpine Attack. I used mine last winter and in the alps this summer. Did the job for day climbs, multi-day alpine routes, cragging etc. It seems to be able to grow and shrink remarkably well and hasn't broken yet. Really good sack, and sensible price too.
 barbeg 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

Hi Gazza,

Force 10 Alpine 35 for summer, 45 for winter....clean light hard wearing sacs....brilliant.

ANdy
 timjones 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

I am hugely pleasad with my Millet Peuterey Integrale.
Gazza111 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

Many thanks for the good advice. I have decided to invest in the Montane Torque 40 after reading some very good reviews.
 climber34neil 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

Good decision!!
 Martin Bennett 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

Lest you should change your mind and consider a classic, no longer available Podsac, as recommended by pbob above, I have an original, tough as old boots, Black Ice I'd sell for the right money. ??
 tizer 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Gazza111:

Please take a look at the crux sacks also. My 20 year old MacPac Pursuit is still going strong, however one of these will be my next purchase.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...