Lake District upland path and bridge damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PontiusPirate 07 Dec 2015
After this weekend's devastation, we will have to expect considerable damage to upland paths and bridges.

I think it'll be useful, if people are going to be heading out this week now the weather has calmed down, to list here what problems they find with a grid ref and a link to a picture if possible.

Thanks,

PP.
In reply to PontiusPirate:

I would worry about how you are going to get here & get around the Lakes rather than which footpath is knackered.
 Simon Caldwell 08 Dec 2015

If I were planning a visit in the near future I think I'd postpone it, to keep out of the way of those trying to tidy up and assess the damage. I've seen a few requests from locals for people to stay away for now, contribute the petrol money to one of the appeal funds, and come back next year instead.
 elliptic 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

On the other hand... the last thing local businesses that have survived the floods need is for half their customers to disappear for the next few months. Check before you go and be aware of road closures etc (which will be around for a while) but most of the Lakes area is still up and functioning.
 Rip van Winkle 08 Dec 2015
In reply to elliptic:

I echo that. I've been following events in Keswick (at a distance) and many of the affected shops have worked their butts off to get open again. They want customers!
 Dark-Cloud 08 Dec 2015

Wrong answer, they need visitors, all the major roads are open now, yes we have lost a few bridges but nothing that will stop people getting to/from Keswick from the A66 and Ambleside from Kendal, Keswick was open on Monday and the Local Tourist Board were tweeting to come along, business is as per normal in Kendal and those shops that were damaged are fighting to open as soon as possible.
 Mal Grey 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Good to hear. We've a group trip at New Year, and definitely want to come and spend money locally, unless we're told differently! Fortunately we won't need to use the A591!

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I was quoting the opinions of some locals, some people were planning a trip to Patterdale to try to help out but were politely requested to stay away for now and come back after Christmas instead. Clearly others have different opinions.

Not all the major roads are open of course, there is still no way to get from Keswick to Ambleside without going via the A6 or the coast.
 Dark-Cloud 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

> Fortunately we won't need to use the A591!

Good job too !!

I don't think the Glenridding road will be in action for a while either but access to the main areas north and south is certainly possible, there is a few valleys I haven't seen anything from such as Borrowdale and Buttermere so hopefully these are still navigable.
 Dark-Cloud 08 Dec 2015

Understandably in the clean up phase they won't want people turning up out of the blue but they are trying their best to get back to normal where possible.
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The Borrowdale road was report as being closed this morning, whether that's true or not I don't know?
 summo 08 Dec 2015

the one thing it will mean is that those wanting to target some winter routes (when it arrives) will have further to walk, but will be rewarded with quieter crags.
OP PontiusPirate 08 Dec 2015
In reply to summo:

So, if people are out this week - can they *please* report any issues, especially footbridges out, here with a grid reference and a picture of the damage if possible.
This is not just a direct service for other mountain users, but will greatly aid those whose job it is to look after such upland infrastructure.

This thread is not about road damage (there's another one for that).

PP.
 paulh.0776 16 Dec 2015
I drove down to the car park at the top end of Thirlmere on Sat, there are lots of signs saying road closed but its open and ok all the way to just past the Kings Head where the barriers are across the road, the car park was ok despite the council workman saying it was shut and full of army gear, ..it wasn't, it had just 2 vehicles in there. I parked at the Kings Head (for free) after asking them if it was ok (they're very happy to see anyone, ...nice people) and called in for a cuppa after my walk. The start of the path to Helvellyn has been washed out for about 20m , but is easily crossed and not a problem, the rest of the path up is fine.
a few pics at:
http://paulhorsmanphotographer.blogspot.co.uk
Post edited at 15:53
Rigid Raider 16 Dec 2015

At the risk of sounding complacent or belittling the misery suffered by Cumbrians, surely the UK's wettest county is used to dealing with floods and torrents and will bounce back quickly?
 WildCamper 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Not on this scale. Yeah it rains a lot here but roads dont usually get washed away ime...
 John Kelly 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I don't think the Glenridding road will be in action for a while either but access to the main areas north and south is certainly possible, there is a few valleys I haven't seen anything from such as Borrowdale and Buttermere so hopefully these are still navigable.

Glenridding road now open
Post edited at 18:22
 icnoble 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Videos of Glenridding

youtube.com/watch?v=nTWcIGdu2Ms&

youtube.com/watch?v=Xu28gPfAFPc&

youtube.com/watch?v=5HlZ5zt1awM&

It make take a bit of time to get back to normality.

Ridge 16 Dec 2015
In reply to icnoble:

It's interesting that a lot of the heavy work has been done by volunteers at their own expense. The groundworkers at Glenridding did a brilliant job, (Environment Agency despatched men with clipboards - no doubt ready to prosecute said groundworkers for moving gravel without permission). In Carlisle the Young Farmers used slurry tankers to pump out cellars, and loading shovels and trailers to clear household waste. (Council standing by with clipboards, but surprisingly no-one checking tractors for red diesel this time around).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...