Lorpen expedition socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Are these socks a significant improvement over thorlo or any other mountaineering socks, in terms of warmth?

Stuart
 climber34neil 05 Dec 2015
In reply to Stuart the postie:

I've been using lorpen socks for the last couple of years, they are the best socks I've ever had, warmth comfort and support
In reply to climber34neil:

I get cold feet climbing on ice wall at Braehead, never mind outside! Are these bad boys THAT good?

Stuart
 Airtime! 05 Dec 2015

After some frostbite injuries I have poor circulation in a couple of toes and they get cold very easily.

I have 2 pairs of Lorpen socks and they are a good and warm sock. The main issue is your circulation. If you have poor blood flow and your feet get cold they will struggle to warm up no matter what socks you are using. Lorpen insulate very well and i've found that they even insulate your cold feet from the insulation in your boots. If you warm up well then they are an option, if not - if your feet suffer at the wall - then i'd suggest getting a pair of LENZ heated socks. They aren't cheap but they work very well and I used them last winter climbing and skiing down to -15C with no issues at all.

Hope this helps Stuart.....
 climber34neil 05 Dec 2015

For me yes, I find them warmer than bridgedale expedition socks and much less thick
 Mr Fuller 05 Dec 2015

They are significantly warmer than any other socks I've ever used. However, be careful that they fit in your boots - I'm going to disagree with other posters and say that they are way thicker than any other socks (or at least, they don't pack down inside your boot inside the same way). As a result, I bought a pair for an expedition and have failed to use them in anger - I'd need to size up my B3s a 1/2 size. If you want a pair to fit size 8-9 feet I've a pair that have never been worn in anger that I could sell.
 Al Walker 05 Dec 2015

Go and get some Stuart, I just wear a single pair of these inside my nice lightweight boots and never get cold feet. AND, they're comfortable too. Time to stop darning those old ones your granny knitted for you, new sock will give you another grade !!

Al
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Wow, I'm a size 8, how much?

Stuart
 Mr Fuller 07 Dec 2015

I've sent you a message, Stuart.

I expect for £50/60 a pair, the placebo effect will keep your feet very warm.

And this is from an Arcteryx wearer.
2powern 07 Dec 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I've bought two pairs from trekkinn.com, paid about £34 including delivery. Not cheap, but not the daft prices some places want.
In reply to 2powern:

Is that for the full monty expedition ones? If so that's not a bad price at all.
 Mr Fuller 07 Dec 2015

Yeah, they aren't all the same. Mine were £50 I think from Nevisport and are about 10 mm thick on top.
2powern 07 Dec 2015
I got these: http://www.trekkinn.com/index.php?action=ver_detalle_producto&id_modelo...

Turns out I paid £27 with postage. If they're not the full whack ones, then there's this too :
http://www.trekkinn.com/index.php?action=ver_detalle_producto&id_modelo...
In reply to 2powern:

Yep, I've just bought the blue ones.

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...