Alpkit Headtorch Prism 550

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Busby 03 Dec 2015
Have used a few Alpkit torches in the past and always found them to be great value and usually punching well above their weight, was wondering if anybody had experience with their latest monster that's supposed to kick out 550 lumens.

Unfortunately while the website video is a nice idea (night time parkour/run) it doesn't really showcase the torch well/at all.

Cheers

Iain
 StuDoig 04 Dec 2015
In reply to Busby:

I've not used it, but I'd be reticent to buy a torch working of CR123A cells - hugely expensive compared to AAs and not nearly as common (so less much likely to find them in garages or wee shops). Our team hand torches use them and it's the number 1 complaint about them. Unusually it you can't substitute a 18650 (lithium-ion rechargeable) which would have made it a much better torch imo.

Fenix do some very similar looking ones (up to 900lumens on boost though!) that work with 18650 rechargeable batteries as well as CR123A if your interested that kind of spec of torch. If you're not worried about re-charging opportunities, units running off 18650 Cells make for great lightweight but powerful torches.

Sorry I can't comment on the actual torch though!
 Big Steve 05 Dec 2015
In reply to Busby:

I brought one last week. Unfortunately I didn't read about it properly as when I opened it up there were two batteries of a size I hadn't seen before. I have no idea where I will buy replacements for them from. The torch is good and bright with several brightness settings and a strobe setting, although at the end of the day it is just a cheap made in china headtorch and as with all things, you get what you pay for
In reply to Big Steve:

I needed to buy some the other day for my home automation. This seemed like a good deal: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-CR123-Batteries-CR123a-Pack/dp/B000KVZRK2
OP Busby 05 Dec 2015
In reply to Busby:

Yeah battery size was one of my issues about it, as I say I've always been quite happy with their kit, was just wondering if its output was good enough to justify buying yet another powerful head torch....

Big Steve 05 Dec 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

That looks a good deal, thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...