g20 crampons balling up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Curly Rich 29 Nov 2015
Love the g20s for climbing water ice in Norway. Scotland proved more difficult walking in and out because of the balling up. Has anyone got a decent fix for the problem.
 climber34neil 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Curly Rich:

Yes, I swapped mine for lynx's and not looked back. They are fab, apart from that have you tried just gaffa tape around them? Seems fairly successful
OP Curly Rich 29 Nov 2015
In reply to climber34neil:

The Lynx look good, do they feel as solid as g20s.

ha ha good old duct tape was looking for something more permanent.
In reply to Curly Rich:

The lynx feels more solid to me than the g20 did, I was never totally sure about the mono rail bit. I have been using the lynx for dry tooling as well and they feel rock solid to me. Also the g20 didn't give me much confidence when coming down off the mountain , felt like you could easily go for a big slide , no such problems with the lynx.
OP Curly Rich 29 Nov 2015
In reply to climber34neil:

Thanks. Might have to suffer the cost. Coming down off the Ben last year was hard work after a long day. Large snowballs on your feet isn't the best end to the day.
In reply to Curly Rich:

G14 , cyborgs , stingers also are options but I would still go for the lynx. If you look back at the forums over the last few days there was someone wanting lynx's and someone else response with information about a French online store selling them for €150 so about £130
 iksander 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Curly Rich:

Grind off the the first point of the monorail under the forefoot, cut out the forefoot shapes from a cheapo plastic bumslide sledge and lash on with some metal zip ties.
 nniff 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Curly Rich:

Make your own plates out of bleach bottle plastic, zip ties and/or coat hanger wire. You can get cold resistant zip ties in Maplins. Make the plates slightly over-size so that they have a wrinkle in them: the wrinkle pops the snow off when you lift your foot. Easy, last for ages. The easiest thing to do is to make a cardboard or plastic template first and keep that safe as a pattern for later.

Bleach is cheap and the bottles come in many colours......
OP Curly Rich 30 Nov 2015
In reply to nniff:

Brilliant, it's going to be like Blue Peter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...