Austrian Alps - Advice on conditions in June please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 28 Nov 2015
Anyone out there with recent experience of the Austrian Alps in early season?

I'm hoping to do a high level hut to hut trek taking in some moderate peaks (PD max) in late June - probably in the Otztal area. My previous experience in this area was over 30 years ago when most huts didn't open till July but I see mid-June is now the normal summer season opening date. Presumably global warming has had an effect. Should we expect decent conditions in late June?

Many thanks for any advice.

Martin
 IPPurewater 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin Hore:

This year quite a few huts in the Stubai didn't open until the first week of July as they still had so much snow many of the paths were not open.
OP Martin Hore 28 Nov 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

Many thanks - that doesn't sound so good. Last week in June suits me best but not if the huts aren't open of course.

Martin
OP Martin Hore 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin Hore:

Just bumping this one up in case anyone else with relevant experience in on-line today. Many thanks

Martin
cb294 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin Hore:

Very hard to say, guess you will have to wait until April or May to get a reliable forecast for the hut openings. I had hut bookings for mid to end of June dates cancelled before because they decided that there was too much snow, and pushed opening back into July. Otherwise, early season is great!

CB

OP Martin Hore 30 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:

Many thanks CB.

When you say "early season is great", I guess you've had some positive experiences, aside from the hut cancellations one year. I was thinking that glacier conditions should be better early in the season rather than in late July/August taking the effect of global warming into account. My most recent experiences in the Alps were pretty poor because of this, though I had some wonderful trips to the Alps 30 or 40 years ago in August.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...