winter tights (xmas present) suggestions please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GavClayton 26 Nov 2015
My other half has asked for a pair of winter tights for trail riding; preferably capable of keeping her warm/ wind resistant. As there are millions to chose from can anyone recommend any? They needn't even be cycle specific as she wears undershorts and I am a Yorkshireman...
 LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:
My current winter tights for road riding are Castelli Nanoflex - not windproof, but I've not been cold in them.

Your enemy, as usual, is fit - I'm normally a small or medium, but had to buy large to get these to fit.

Trail riding, I tend to wear bib shorts with baggies over the top and shin/knee armour around Swinley or leg warmers elsewhere - both if really cold.

The Corrente ones here might be the sort of thing she's after:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli/tights?f=4294958067
Post edited at 16:23
 veteye 26 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:
> capable of keeping her warm/ wind resistant.
Feed her less beans in the first place so that she produces less wind anyway.

Brass Nipples 26 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

DHB Aeron Pro . Not too expensive and have a windproof layer on the front. These are bib tights rather than just tights, but keep you toasty through the muck and wet of winter.

climbingpixie 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
Those are the ones I was going to recommend. They're really toasty, almost too hot a lot of the time. However the fact they're bibs means that loo stops require some serious stripping off, especially as they come up very high so you can't even wiggle straps off under your top. Not very pleasant in cold weather so I only wear mine for rides of less than 3 hours (to be fair, this is most of my rides in cold weather) or where I know there will be a cafe stop.
Post edited at 17:47
 quirky 26 Nov 2015
In reply to climbingpixie:

I rate the planet x 365 bib. Windproof, warm but not too warm and has a zip for manly toilet stops!! Cheap as chips too which is always a plus for easily trashed winter garb!
 AlisonSmiles 26 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

I can tell you a few to avoid!!!!! For example - the weirdly baggy Altura. The Endura which appear to believe women should have teeny tiny ankles and the zips always come undone. Also the dhb flashlight unpadded waist tights have a curious habit of falling down. Can't figure out why but there's a proper builder's bum issue.
 Brass Nipples 26 Nov 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

> I can tell you a few to avoid!!!!! For example - the weirdly baggy Altura. The Endura which appear to believe women should have teeny tiny ankles and the zips always come undone. Also the dhb flashlight unpadded waist tights have a curious habit of falling down. Can't figure out why but there's a proper builder's bum issue.

You're meant to do up the waist cord!
Rigid Raider 27 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

Lusso's Roubaix-lined tights are a classic and extremely hard-wearing. If you are lucky enough to live in Manchester you can go to the factory in Radcliffe and get a pair at ex-factory price.
 AlisonSmiles 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

There is no waist cord - I've looked ... a lot. They need braces or belt loops, or some more twangy elastic or some more robust material around the top bit. In any case, they aren't a good shape on the bike either, when you're bent down, the waist is really low at the back, high at the front. And in answer to your next question - no, I haven't got them on back to front either!!! Could just be I'm a weird shape of course. I accept that.
 nufkin 27 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

If they're for Christmas then some Assos ones'd be just the thing. Some reasonable sizes too at the mo, if you're lucky with the sizing:

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/women/knickers-tights/
OP GavClayton 30 Nov 2015
In reply to nufkin:

Thanks for all the tips folks; especially the last assos link which has caused a few raised eyebrows at work.....
 cathsullivan 30 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

Maybe these aren't quite the thing, as they do have their own padding and are more for road biking, but if you do go for bibs with padding ...

I have some fantastic ones made by gore. I think the fact that they are bibs probably makes them warmer. I went out in them at the weekend in horrendous weather and my legs and midrif were toasty. The best thing about them is that they have zips at the back which mean that you can pull them down to go for a pee without having to take all your top layers off. That is worth more than anything. The zips don't rub against your skin (which I feared they might) even if you don't have a long top on underneath. They are the business. Wiggle have them 20% off at the moment.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-womens-power-20-thermo-bib-tights/
 CarolineMc 30 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

If you don't want to go for bibs then I can totally recommend the Pearl Izumi Amphib tights. You can get them with or without the chamois. I only got mine a few weeks ago but used them on a long, very wet and seriously windy ride that weekend and was toasty all day. I usually get cold so can vouch for their warmth factor.
 nniff 30 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

http://www.ekoi.fr/en/ do some nice stuff that's Yorskhire-friendly.

There's also Decathlon
Removed User 30 Nov 2015
In reply to GavClayton:

> the last assos link which has caused a few raised eyebrows at work....

Only eyebrows?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...