Christmas music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 25 Nov 2015
I would appreciate any suggestions for Christmas music to listen to at home and while mooching around at work. I'm after some off the beaten track stuff.

I already have the usual Top 100 pop songs that appear in most compilations and can be heard in each and every shop over the festive period.

So far my personal favourite is Jazz to the World. Relaxing and good background mood music.

Cheers.
Andy Gamisou 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Anything from Portishead.
 Alyson 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The 3 Tenors - either their Christmas album or the Christmas concert they did in Vienna. Both available on YouTube. I watch the concert every year without fail!
 eltankos 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Slayer
In reply to The Lemming:

Why don't you hit the vast number of end of year lists that become available around now? Here's one decent example:

https://www.normanrecords.com/features/top-fifty-2015?utm_medium=email&...
 graeme jackson 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

James Taylor's Christmas album is very good. (if you like that sort of thing)
 Jamie Hageman 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Another vote for James Taylor. I also like the John Fahey Christmas albums he did. Pugwash did a great Christmas song called Tinsel and Marzipan. Look it up.
Might try recording my own album of Chrsitmas songs on guitar, if I get the time. Now that would be an instant classic
In reply to The Lemming:

Jethro Tull released a Christmas album, if memory serves. Is that sufficiently off the beaten track?

If not, try Thea Gilmore's Strange Communion. It features a cover of Elvis Costello's St Stephen's Day Murders which includes Mark Radcliffe on vocals. It really shouldn't work, but it's rather good.

T.
 toad 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

both are good. I'm going to see Ian Anderson doing Tull Christmas stuff in Lincoln Cathedral in a couple of weeks. coincides I think with the Christmas market. Peak Festive!
In reply to toad:

In Lincoln Cathedral, eh? Bet he doesn't dare play 'My God'...though I'm sure the imp would be grinning.

T.
In reply to toad:

> both are good. I'm going to see Ian Anderson doing Tull Christmas stuff in Lincoln Cathedral in a couple of weeks. coincides I think with the Christmas market. Peak Festive!

I may be doing that myself. Lincoln Xmas market is as festive as I get. That and God's own malty juice.
In reply to eltankos:

> Slayer

Seasons in the abyss would be a good choice
 alan moore 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Was watching Thomas the Tank Engine on YouTube the other day and the soundtrack was The Beatles' chant " Christmas time is here again". Very annoying, very catchy, proper christmas record...
Removed User 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Bob Dylan's Christmas album is so bad it could only be the work of a genius.

mike123 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
Loudon wAinwright has a couple of good ones
youtube.com/watch?v=ew6rVcL3Up8&
 pec 25 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

How about this Christmas song? Its certainly a bit off the beaten track for the genre.
youtube.com/watch?v=KneOdEDwDEc&
 nufkin 27 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The thread about Low reminded me of their Christmas album, if you've not come across it. 'Just Like Christmas' seems to have been in vogue on some playlists these past few years, but everything else you'll probably not have heard.

Not exactly jolly, though, in parts
 tony 27 Nov 2015
In reply to nufkin:

> The thread about Low reminded me of their Christmas album, if you've not come across it. 'Just Like Christmas' seems to have been in vogue on some playlists these past few years, but everything else you'll probably not have heard.

That was on a compilation CD that The Big Issue put out some years ago. It's a great song. The other stand-out for me on that CD is 'Feliz Navi-nada' by El Vez, complete with Public Image bass line. There's also a weird 'White Christmas' by The Flaming Lips, an excellent 'Christmas Boogaloo' by Big Boss Man and a surprisingly upbeat 'Everything's gonna be cool this Christmas' by Eels.
In reply to toad:

> both are good. I'm going to see Ian Anderson doing Tull Christmas stuff in Lincoln Cathedral in a couple of weeks. coincides I think with the Christmas market. Peak Festive!

off topic but take time to consider your parking as many of the car parks near the cathedral are used for the market.

To the OP
This is a nice non run of the mill Christmas song, here sung by Micheal Crawford.
youtube.com/watch?v=KQPVOpzdH_A&

Removed User 27 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Here is my contribution, it's a mix of a classic. Yep, only one tune, but if it appeals there are other classics to be found that have had a similar makeover. Whilst I do like a few classic Christmas songs, this one has a new special appeal for me. It makes me want to get up and dance to it. Last year it came on whilst I was in a shop and before I realised it I was actually moving a bit too much to it and attracted a few odd glances.

youtube.com/watch?v=-VZjdKuvxRM&
 toad 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Hannah S:

ta. I'm expecting to have to walk a bit.
OP The Lemming 30 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Still love this one

youtube.com/watch?v=vkpOfHW75ck&
 Stopsy 05 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Might I suggest Zebra - Christmas Morning, heard it on 6music yesterday and have to say I'm a fan. Think they played roughly from just before 2mins onwards and I prefer probably it from there on, just with the end of the choral bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=oiRoOd9Nyv0&
cb294 05 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

J.S. Bach, Christmas Oratory, doesn't get more christmassy than that.

Sat through all six cantatas live yesterday, 3 1/2 hours on a church pew designed for garden gnomes, woke up with a stiff back today.

I also listen to a recording with the Thomaner choir at work almost constantly.

CB
OP The Lemming 16 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Never heard this one before.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ni04_SF-HRQ&
 malk 16 Dec 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...