Boot for scrambling, via-ferrata and winter walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 24 Nov 2015
Hi,
I'm looking for a boot that will do me for 3 season lakes scrambling, UK winter walking (that will take light crampons on an easy I or II snow gully) and dolomites via-ferrata.

I've looked at Sportiva Trango S Evo which get really good reviews bar the durability issue and the Scarpa Rebel Light which apparently have a wide fit.

Can anyone suggest any other boots or give opinions on the above two so I can go to a shop and try some on.
I have fairly narrow feet with a medium-high arch.

Cheers.
 olddirtydoggy 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:
hanwag ferrata combi gtx
Post edited at 20:39
 noteviljoe 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

Not got any other suggestions but just to say that I've got the La Sportiva Trango S's - which green superfeet inserts - and they work really well for me. Not got narrow feet though medium-ish.

Here's the forum I started asking similar question (to which the La Sportiva's turned out to be the answer) http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=606538
 crustypunkuk 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

I'm on my second pair of Salewa Rapace gtx boots. I've used them for everything from walking the dog, to long mountain days to climbing multipitch vs routes. I'd suggest everything shy of full winter climbing is within their capabilities. I can't recommend them highly enough. The comfiest and most capable boot I've ever owned, hence the fact I'm onto my second pair.
 AlanLittle 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

I have and very much like Scarpa Triolet. I have wideish feet and generally find Sportivas too narrow at the front. The Triolet is a little bit heavier than the Rebel but has a more conventional boot shape rather than the rock shoe like shape of the Rebel. I get the impression the Rebels are very much designed to be climbed in, which wasn't what I was planning to do with them.
 Gav Parker 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

Scarpa Charmoz will do the job...
 Trangia 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

I am very pleased with my Meindl Bhutans
 Denni 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

As Gav and Alan have said, Charmoz/Triolet are perfect.
I've always found La Sportiva quite narrow and a whole size and a half difference compared to Scarpa.

As always though, whatever fits best and for me that's anything Scarpa straight from the box.
 wbo 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow: That's the key. Do you have a narrow foot or a wide foot. I have wide and Scarpas fit a lot better for me. Charmoz, Rebel Lite?

HeMa 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

What you want, is boots that can take semi-automatic crampons (ie. Grivel NewMatic -style). And as few as possible seams etc. on the actual uppers. Since very rarely the actual fabric/leather breaks, but most often it's the seams/stiches.

Trango Cube might be good option (if Sportiva fits ya). Garmont Ferrata or Tower something. Scarpa certainly has something that'll work. As does about any major boot manufacturer.

BnB 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

I'm on my second pair of Rebel Lites and they're very light and edge extremely well. Perfect for Cuillin type scrambling. I also wear them in winter with a semi-flexible crampon and they are great for routes like Aonach Eagach. But keep moving, warm they are not!!
 Mouflon 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

I've got quite narrow feet and years ago went for the S Evo as I found these fitted better than the Scarpa Charmoz, which were definitely wider & looser.
I found the only drawback with the S Evos was that they were a bit cold when wearing them in the Alps summer snow. So I replaced the S Evos with a similar boot the Sportiva Trango Alps, which are slightly heavier and slightly more substantial but I've found them perfect for what you're describing - good for scrambling, via ferratas but also a slightly thicker sole than the S Evos, so a bit warmer in snow and hence the UK Winter.

Robin Woodward 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

I ended up buying some Altberg Mallerstang boots for this kind of use. They have a heel clip and I've put my black diamond sabretooth crampons (C2) on them with no issues (use the flex bar most of the the time for better walking). Have used this setup on Scottish I-IV. They've held up pretty well for abuse and you can get 5 different width fittings.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/stockist-product/the-mallerstang-boot/

In the end I had to order two pairs for my odd sized feet and have the extra wide fitting widened further (which they did for free at the factory shop and then shipped them to me).

Got a new 7.5 Right and 6.5 Left in case anyone's interested.....
 ChrisH89 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Alpenglow:

I have a pair of the Rebel Lites that I use as winter boots in Scotland (haven't climbed any long routes in them though). I really like them, they're really comfortable and don't feel too stiff to walk in, but are very supportive for kicking steps/using narrow footholds etc. Very grippy when scrambling. As someone else said though they aren't insulated so you will get cold feet if you spend a lot of time standing around so make sure you have space for at least one thick pair of socks in them! Obviously fit is very important too.
 veteye 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Gav Parker:

I second the Charmoz boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...