Will your GPS watch do this ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 23 Nov 2015

1. Tell the time
2. Give a uk grid reference
3. Give a resonably accurate altitude. ( say +/- 20m )

I was going to buy the OH a new one for Xmas and have her old garmin for me , but it seems that 2 of the 3 things I would use it for are too hard for it.
Edit : that's all I want it to do and have no need for all the other malarky . Seems like only the really pricey one will do this ?
Post edited at 12:43
 galpinos 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

Garmin Fenix 3 - Yes.

I wanted all of the above as well as the "running" functions which is why I got the Fenix, not the 620/220.
 ablackett 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

Garmin 310XT will do this but it's not cheap and it's pretty poor at communicating with the computer via the daft little ANT stick.

Andy
 Ben Snook 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

I recently bought a Fenix 3, chosen from its contemporaries primarily for the coordinate display. I felt really stupid that I was struggling to find a 'simple' GPS watch that would give me location coordinates, but it really was tricky to identify one! It's a nice thing, and I used it a lot in the mountains this summer, but given that I already had a nice bike computer I basically only use the time, the alarm, the compass, the altimeter and the waypoint marker; it's pretty expensive just for those things in my opinion. I'm pretty sure the Fenix 2 will do all of those functions, and can probably be found cheaper now, but unfortunately a small handheld GPS unit does the coordinate and altitude thing much better, and for likely half the price.

I would note that the altimeter in the Fenix 3 (and Fenix 2 I think) is barometric rather than satellite, and will swing hugely (10s of meters) as pressure changes. I had to calibrate it (from my hand held GPS!) at least twice a day as I gained/lost altitude, or the weather changed.

I'm not cross that I own one, but it's certainly not perfect... Good luck with the hunt!
OP mike123 23 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Just looking at the Fenix 3 on garmin site and Google land for price , does £230 ish seem fair ?
Will look at 310xt now
 galpinos 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

Yep. With HR Strap?

I should add, though I really like mine it is my first watch of this kind (GPS etc) so it seems brilliant but I have nothing to compare it to. The Bluetooth connectivity is really good, not just for notifications to the watch (which I'm sure some people hate but I like) but for transferring all my data to Garmin Connect/Strava etc (it just does it automatically).
OP mike123 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Ben Snook:
Yep, I foolishly thought I would be able to get the forerunner 220 to give a grid reference by tinkering about with it. In fact I now rember a little conversation a couple of years ago :
OH " look at my shiny new toy and see how clever it is "
Me " that's nice. Will it tell you where you are when you lost ?"( not uncommon)
OH " no. That's not what I got it for "
Me " but if you press the right sequence of buttons I bet it will. It's bound to "
OH " no . As I said before you patronised me , it's not what's it's for"
 Ben Snook 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

Haha, I think I had a similar conversation with myself!! "It's bound to!" in particular sounds very familiar...

I paid over £300 for mine at the beginning of the year; I think £230 is a fair price (what I thought you might have to pay for the Fenix 2), even without the heart strap.
 lithos 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

yes.
suunto ambit 1
OP mike123 23 Nov 2015
In reply to lithos:
Just had a look at the suuntos , can't see an ambit 1 for sale anywhere but the ambit 2 seems to be about £150 , which if it does 1.2 and 3 above is a lot cheaper than a garmin .
Post edited at 15:21
 ianstevens 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:
The Ambit 2 and Fenix 2 have both been superceeded by the equivalent 3's, and are hence a lot cheaper. 1's have been discontinued for long enough that there are no more about.

I've got an Ambit 1, it runs the same firmware as the 2 and does all you require, so I fail to see why the 2 wouldn't. The Suunto software (Movescount) seems worse than the Garmin software, but the watch itself seems more robust. Personally, I push everything to Strava anyway, so the software is irrelevant.

Like all air pressure based devices, the altitude is only any good if you calibrate it regularly.
Post edited at 15:29
 JR 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

I've got a fenix 3, does the job really well.
 Flinticus 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

What I was looking for too. You can't get a simple one without endless other functions that only serve to clutter the device (for those with your wishes). Suunto Ambit was too expensive when I was looking.

StefanB 23 Nov 2015
In reply to ablackett:

> Garmin 310XT will do this but it's not cheap and it's pretty poor at communicating with the computer via the daft little ANT stick.

It's worth noting that the 310XT relies on GPS for altitude and does not have a barometer, so the acuracy for altitude is limited. Otherwise a great piece of kit at a reasonable price.

lithos 23 Nov 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

agreed, i also us the gps alitimter (which is usually better !)
 sleavesley 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

Look at the Garmin Tactix as well if your looking at the Fenix

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/wearables/wearables/tactix-/prod139389.html

(not that you will buy it from there just so you can see the specs
 ModerateMatt 23 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

Stupid Question alert...

Why would you want a GPS that can't give you a grid refrence and what do people use them for otherwise.

Cheers

Matt
 Brass Nipples 23 Nov 2015
In reply to ModerateMatt:

Maybe it gives latitude and longitude bu not the many different grid systems used around the world

steelbru 23 Nov 2015
In reply to ModerateMatt:

Running watches measure how far you have ran, and show your current running pace/distance/etc - if you're running round the streets or easy trails you never need to know your grid ref.

Golf watches - load up the course your going to play, then from wherever you are on say the 1st fairway it will tell you exactly how far it is to front/middle of the 1st green, etc, so you can choose the right club
 Jon Wickham 24 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

These will all do what you want, with the Suunto Ambit 3 Run being the simplest of the lot:
Garmin Fenix 3
Suunto Ambit 3 Run
Suunto Ambit 3 Sport
Suunto Ambit 3 Peak

However I would recommend the new Suunto Traverse: www.suunto.com/Traverse as probably the best one for your other half. It's aimed more at mountaineers/walkers rather than running/multi activity like the other watches names above.
 Coel Hellier 24 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

There is a conspiracy among GPS watch makers not to produce a simple device that does the three things you want -- I think they're worried that too many people would buy it, or something.
 tony 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Ben Snook:

> I would note that the altimeter in the Fenix 3 (and Fenix 2 I think) is barometric rather than satellite, and will swing hugely (10s of meters) as pressure changes. I had to calibrate it (from my hand held GPS!) at least twice a day as I gained/lost altitude, or the weather changed.

Depending on the terrain, a barometric altimeter may be more accurate than a GPS altimeter - a poor satellite signal will degrade the accuracy of the altitude measurement considerably, and in such conditions, I certainly wouldn't calibrate a barometric altimeter against a GPS altimeter.
 PeterM 24 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:
I'm pretty sure the 610 does all that - time, altitude (not barometric), and OS Grid ref. Not the best battery life.
Post edited at 12:31
 ianstevens 24 Nov 2015
In reply to lithos:

GPS altitude is usually pretty pants (+/- 50m) in my experience!
 Brass Nipples 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> There is a conspiracy among GPS watch makers not to produce a simple device that does the three things you want -- I think they're worried that too many people would buy it, or something.

I also heard that GPS devices are a plot by the US government to track you. They track you even whn switched off, which is why the battery life seems poor.
 galpinos 24 Nov 2015
In reply to PeterM:

OS Co-ordinates? The 620 can't.....
 Ben Snook 24 Nov 2015
In reply to tony:

That's true, I hadn't considered that... I suppose I was lucky with my terrain in my example this summer in that the handheld always claimed very good signal; it certainly correlated with my map contours and trig points more closely than my watch tended to manage. Still, one anecdote does not a conclusion make!

I guess it just goes to show that nothing is perfect, and you can't replace good field skills!
 TomBaker 24 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

Why on earth would i want something i bought for running to give me a grid reference, i know where i'm running, i want pace heart rate etc.

Its like buying a climbing shoe and complaining its crap for running in! If you want why not use the significantly cheaper GPS handheld units? Or fork out for something that 1 has the battery life for long walks and 2 is designed to do the things walkers want.
 DancingOnRock 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Coel Hellier:
> There is a conspiracy among GPS watch makers not to produce a simple device that does the three things you want -- I think they're worried that too many people would buy it, or something.

Garmin are quite open about why they produce different watches.

Different people want different things.

They can sell the 10 for under £100 to thousands of people who just want to press a button and run. Those people wouldn't buy the 230, because it's more advanced and has lots of additional features. The people who buy the 230 don't need the functions of the 620 and don't want to pay the extra for features they'll never use.

The people running ultras generally buy the Fenix.

I've run over 3,000 miles with my 220 and have never needed grid ref. I run in the hills over terrain I know. If I'm running where I don't know then I have map and compass.
Post edited at 13:25
 PeterM 24 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:
> OS Co-ordinates? The 620 can't.....

Honest Guv...set it (the 610) to british grid in the settings.
Post edited at 13:46
In reply to PeterM:

> Honest Guv...set it (the 610) to british grid in the settings.

Doesn't help that the 630 is the latest version of the 610.
And the 635 is the latest version of the 620.

You're talking about completely different watches guys.
 PeterM 24 Nov 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

the 610 is still available on Amazon for less than £120 and can do all that the OP asks. That was the reason I mentioned it.
In reply to PeterM:

Yes. But Glapinos is talking about the 620.

They're completely different watches. Confusion down to Garmin.
 galpinos 24 Nov 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Hmmm, I should maybe shut up and go and fiddle with my Fenix........

Apologies for the confusion, I thought the 620 was the update of the 610. I couldn't understand how the 620 could give you OS co-ords after the run but you couldn't actually get them whilst running/walking/skiing etc.
 PeterM 24 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> Hmmm, I should maybe shut up and go and fiddle with my Fenix........

> Apologies for the confusion, I thought the 620 was the update of the 610. I couldn't understand how the 620 could give you OS co-ords after the run but you couldn't actually get them whilst running/walking/skiing etc.

The 620 is (was) the update of the 610. Garmin do silly things sometimes and this was one of them - removing that feature. They seem to want to keep that sort of thing for the high end outdoor watches rather than running watches now so no-one is tempted to get a basic outdoor feature set at a bargain price.
madmonky 24 Nov 2015
In reply to mike123:

I have a Fenix 2 and have to say that I love it! Its got me out of a few sticky situations as well, I just wish it was compatible with my model of phone. I would say get the Fenix 3 compared to anything else!
In reply to PeterM:

The ability to see your location is back in the 630, which is why I thought the 620 is different to the 610 and 630.

although the 620 is the successor to the 610, in reality it's just a better 220. The 630 is a better 610, if that makes sense.
 lithos 24 Nov 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

> GPS altitude is usually pretty pants (+/- 50m) in my experience!

so i was told before, but i got a little add on script for the ambit to calibrate it at start of day (just reports GPS alt)
And its always been (N of about 6 and in UK) pretty good (refernced to map) and much much closer than the
atmospheric one (no surprise after overnight changes etc)

I use both when on hill and check when on summitts / known points, as i still playing with it as a toy
(it's quite new to me)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...