(semi) high altitude boots in winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JdotP 22 Nov 2015
I am seeking opinions. re. boots for a trip to the Caucasus (climbing up to 5,000m) over the new year.

I normally climb in the Alps / greater ranges wearing a pair of standard La Sportiva Nepals. With these I have been fine up to 5,600m in the summer. However, I am concerned that they may not be warm enough for the trip to the Caucasus over new year break, during which we may go up to 5,000m.

I could simply buy a pair of Spantiks, but an alternate option has been proposed to me: Buy La Sportiva Nepal Cubes (it appears these are basically Nepals with more insulation around the top of the boot) and wear them with a pair of Yeti gaiters. This is an appealing option since the Nepal Cube would be a good boot for all-round use once my current pair of normal La Sportiva Nepals wear out (they will), whilst it is difficult to see what I would use the Spantiks for in future after this trip is over. But I do quite like my toes, so am seeking second and third opinions before going for this option Any thoughts?
In reply to JdotP: Spantiks are great for alpine climbing in winter and the colder ends of spring and autumn. Will you ever envisage yourself bivvying en-route? Being able to dry out your liners makes a huge difference.

L.A. 22 Nov 2015
In reply to JdotP:
Would you even attempt Mt Blanc in December in Nepal Cubes ? and given that the Caucasus will probably be higher and colder.....
If you dont want to buy Spantiks or a similar boot you could always pick up a cheap second hand pair of Vegas or, if you really do for some reason decide to go single boot then forget the Yetis and at least go warmer and get insulation underneath the boot where its in contact with the cold
http://www.needlesports.com/40/products/forty-below-k2-overboot.aspx
(but you could buy some Vegas for that price and still have change) or you could buy Spantiks and sell them on afterwards It all depends whether you have ambitions for future colder, harder, higher routes.
You can always buy new replacement boots you cant buy replacement toes
Post edited at 15:30
Also, if you do go for a double boot, don't discount the La Sportiva Baruntse. They market it as less technical, but apparently it's pretty decent. It also has a better liner and is a bit tougher than the Spantik.
 Mountain Llama 22 Nov 2015
In reply to JdotP:

+1 for the double boots. I would invest in a second hand pair of Vegas or Omegas, at least you can dry the inners if they get wet.
 Jayhigh 22 Nov 2015
In reply to JdotP:

For a winter alpine trip a couple of years ago my mate just rented a pair of Spantiks.

Not sure where he got them but it was a lot cheaper than buying them for a one off trip, and he still has his toes...
In reply to JdotP:

+1 for double boots, I bought my Spantiks second hand on here before a trip to Tien Shan and would never wear anything else outside of summer now. They climb brilliantly (better on mixed than my Nepals) dry quickly overnight and you know that if the proverbial hits the fan your toes will be safe.
 Graham 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Jacknoblehawkins:

Spantiks are old news. If you want a technical and warm boot - go for the Baruntse. Basically a warmer Nepal. Warm, reasonably light, climb better than my old spantiks. The Cubes are actually supposed to be less warm than the Evos (google it). If you want the lastest and greatest, go for the new G2 if you want to stay with La Sportiva.
OP JdotP 24 Nov 2015
In reply to JdotP:

Thankyou everyone!
 Mr. Lee 25 Nov 2015
In reply to JdotP:

I definitely wouldn't be looking at Cubes. They sound similar in warmth to Rebel GTX boots from what I've read. Good for technical stuff in less cold conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...