Recommend me a Winter Peak from Fort William with Varying Specs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martin.p65 17 Nov 2015
Will be based in Fort William for a couple of days 31-1st Dec/Jan.

Need a peak that is generally fun for myself (experienced) and two others (less experienced) including one with an injured shoulder.
2 others generally fit and mentally strong, just lack equipment.
Can be a whole-day adventure.
Although simple enough for no axe or crampons, would be good to have areas where I (with equipment and no injury) can ´play´ on some ice or rock.

Hit me.
 lone 17 Nov 2015
In reply to martin.p65:

I'm not familiar with the summits yet around the Nevis Area, I've come up to Scotland for two weeks with work amidst the storms we've had, so I've done quite a lot of lowland walking in the area.

You say your friend is injured with his shoulder, I'm just thinking if he slipped and fell in the snow his injury might be made worse ? and the others are inexperienced, with no ice axe or crampons, weather is set to get colder, we've had snow down to around 500mtrs, perhaps by the time you come up the snow will be much more the common theme, so with this in mind, Instead of a peak in winter with your friend's, how about exploring the Nevis Glen ?

Around Steall Falls area and beyond, a great lowland walk into the Glen along the West Highland way from Braveheart Carpark, or from Cow Hill to Braveheart, carry on into the Nevis Glen via the Nevis Forest on Forest Track and at Achriabhach pick up a track along side the River Nevis to Paddy’s Bridge, then past the waterslide and to Steall Falls, lots to explore there and you'll have a full day out too having to walk back. I measured it as 23 miles. Not much climbing but felt I’d came away enchanted having been in the Nevis Gorge and the falls, superb scenery.

Hope I don't come across as being rude ... offering a lowland walk instead of something high in winter, I was just being mindful with the restrictions of equipment and your injured friend.

It's an option anyway

All the best

Jase
 Mark Bull 18 Nov 2015
In reply to lone:

It's going to depend on the prevailing conditions, but fun for you and safe for your friends with no axe/crampons are likely to be somewhat mutually exclusive, and you have to put the latter first!

Something like Mullach nan Coirean via the NE ridge might be OK, but no guarantees it will be OK without axe/crampons. There are some good lower hills in the area which are more likely to be doable by you all, such as Beinn Bhan, Mam na Guallain, Sgurr an Utha, and Stob Coire a'Chearcaill.
 Jamie B 18 Nov 2015
In reply to martin.p65:

With respect, without axe and crampons your friends really shouldn't go too far above the snow-line, so summitting any "peak" is probably off the agenda until you can address this. There are several good hire outlets in Fort William.
OP martin.p65 19 Nov 2015
I did expect an onslaught of "no axes or crampons - whhaaaatt?!" but the last time I was in the cairngorms in winter, we managed 5 really fun days out without need of said equipment.
And I am a sensible person knowing many of the risks involved. Depending on conditions and desires, renting equipment is an option.

Ione: Yes, a relaxed but longer, scenic walk does sound quite good!

Mark: Mullach nan Coirean looks like good and is a peak I've yet to tick. If weather and conditions are suitable, that would be my best-case scenario

Thanks guys so far
 Toccata 19 Nov 2015
In reply to martin.p65:

There are some great 'safe' winter days out for experienced winter navigators. Across the water to Stob a Coire Chearcaill has a safe walk in, some nice rock/ice (quite technical) at the top to play on and marvellous views. Over to Lochailort for An Stac, Rhos Bheinn and Sgurr na Ba Glaise gives amazing views and there are plenty of 'playing' options on An Stac.

Meall nan Teanga and Sron a Coire Garbh gives two munros that would are fine with careful navigation and ice axes. Above Fersit if you take Sron na Garbh Bheinn up Stob Coirse Sgriodain there are lots of interesting rocky steps (that can be bypassed) and then you can bivvy bag it down from Chno Dearg.

I've carried my (walking) crampons up hills in Scotland winter for the last 20 years and have yet to put them on. Wouldn't feel comfortable without them though. Axe is mandatory.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...