Rab Microlight Alpine Down Jacket - Good for usual day to day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DayWalker123 17 Nov 2015
Hi all

First of all, im no climber or into mountaineering but like to purchase good quality jackets - I hope im welcome here

I usually buy Primaloft insulated jackets but I really like the look of the Rab Microlight Alpine Down so hence this post

What is is like for usual UK day to day use? ie. town, shopping, work, out with kids etc

How good is the Hydrophobic down in it? i don't intend on walking out with it in the pouring rain, but due to the UK's unpredictable weather, it will get wet occasionally no doubt.

I did try one in a high street store and really liked it but i have read about down getting wet and soggy and only good for dry cold weather which frankly in the UK is often not the case, wet and damp in the Winter.

So my question is, shall I buy this or buy something else?

Budget around £150

thanks!

nutme 17 Nov 2015

Weather in UK is not that cold you really need a down jacket to go to a pub. 300 fleece will be much more convenient.

And you can wash it without any hassle.
Post edited at 10:49
 tjin 17 Nov 2015
In reply to DayWalker123:

"wet and damp in the Winter": Get a waterproof jacket or atleast a highly water resistant softshell.

For urban use; get whatever is durable and easy to wash. Light weight mountainering gear needs more care when washing and are not that durable (the thing light weight stuff).
 iksander 17 Nov 2015
In reply to DayWalker123:

Uniqlo do very good hydrophobic down jackets at good prices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...