Gps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kassius 11 Nov 2015
I'm in the market for a gps and I'm considering a garmin 64s. Is this a wise choice would anyone recommend something different
 StuDoig 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Kassius:

What are you going to be using it for? It could be spot on or a terrible choice depending on what your application is. If you'll be doing a lot of biking or similar and using it actively guide you, then there are better units (bigger screens, quicker processors etc). If you're only going to use it to give you a grid ref then use map and compass from there, then again there are better, simpler, cheap units (etrex line for example).

I've the 62s (it's predecessor), but have friends with the 64s and think it's a good all-round unit. It's not the best mapping GPS as the screen is smaller than other garmin models, or dedicated units like satmaps but its smaller and less obtrusive in general. For general walking / mountaineering / skiing though I find it a good unit. Enough map visibility to orientate yourself to terrain immediately around you, but not so much that you become totally device dependent. you can load 1:25k and 1:50k mapping onto it it'll switch automatically as you zoom in, which I like. Buttons are a bit small and clustered for big gloves though. battery life is good - mine will easily last all weekend on a single set of batteries with charge to spare - definitely outlasts friends satmaps.

the HD screen and mapping isn't as good as the satmap, memory map etc versions, less definition, but this is due to the map files garmin use. They insist on making them "routable" so that the same files can be used for car based sat nav. This adds extra layers of data to the tiles, so making them very detailed HD starts to need bigger processors and drains the battery a lot more quickly.

Works well abroad as well, and I find the UI fairly intuitive. Easily customised as well so you can hide away stuff you don't need.

It works better than my current and last phones in terms of accuracy and precision (Nexus 4 and Z3 compact - though neither are actually bad).

Storage space for mapping is more limited. I've the whole of the UK on a micro SD, and the Cairngorms NP on the unit it's self and doubt i'll get much more mapping onto the device memory. So think about the map package you get with it - the more you get on micro SD the better imo.

Cheers!

Stu
 wilkesley 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Kassius:

What exactly do you want to use it for?
OP Kassius 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Kassius:

Great write up thanks very muchly. Majority use will be global trekking and mountaineering so It sounds exactly what I need.
Best regards
Mark
 EddInaBox 11 Nov 2015
In reply to StuDoig:

> I've the 62s (it's predecessor)... Storage space for mapping is more limited. I've the whole of the UK on a micro SD, and the Cairngorms NP on the unit it's self and doubt i'll get much more mapping onto the device memory. So think about the map package you get with it - the more you get on micro SD the better imo.

I have the 62s and find it annoyingly slow when I want to zoom in and out and move the map around on screen. I bought the unit and Ordnance Survey map of the UK as a bundle but the map is locked to the micro SD card it came on so you can't copy it to a bigger card to give you more room (I don't know if it is still possible to buy the map separately on different media so you can, although it would probably cost more)... However there are programs available and instructions on the internet that allow you to defeat this, which I have done and I now have the OS map and a couple of versions of Open Street Map, for example the routable cycle map, on my GPS and can choose between them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...