Belay glasses for glasses wearers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Grim 10 Nov 2015
Would be very interested to hear which belay glasses suit people who wear glasses. My partner pays 500 quid for her prescription specs and is worried that belay glasses may scratch/damage them. who uses belay glasses and which make would you recommend? Looking at the available devices, they all claim to be spex friendly, but is one make better than the others?

Thanks

G
 GPN 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:
Hi,

I use y&y belay glasses over the top of my specs and they work fine. I've also used the CU belay glasses, which again work well. I've not noticed any scratching problems, but then I don't wear £500 glasses either!

The CU belay glasses are definitely a superior product, but then you'd hope so at twice the price of the Y&Ys.

HTH,

George.
Grim 10 Nov 2015
In reply to GPN:

Yowser! the CU brand is certainly a premium product- how much better are they at twice the price? What makes them the superior product?

Cheers

G
 humptydumpty 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

Could you wear belay glasses with contact-lenses? Or normal glasses with belay-contact-lenses?
 Jon Stewart 10 Nov 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

> Could you wear belay glasses with contact-lenses?

Yes.

> Or normal glasses with belay-contact-lenses?

No. Belay glasses are big prisms, and big prism contact lenses would be very uncomfortable (one of several problems with this idea).

Grim 11 Nov 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:
Her astigmatism is bad enough that contact lenses are too awkward. The issue with glasses wearers is having to tip their heads back that much further whilst belaying to see.

Really just asking which of the main brands of belay glasses work best for folkwith prescription glasses.
 Dan Arkle 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

The cu ones 'fit' better with glasses. I've got the y&y ones now. I've not noticed any scratching with either.
 CPH 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:
My y and y (plasfun) belay glasses sit comfortably in front of my usual specs. and no part of the y and y's has contact with the lenses of the specs.
Also, the plasfun are reasonably priced.
Post edited at 07:24
 Fraser 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

> - how much better are they at twice the price? What makes them the superior product?

I've had both and sent the Y&Y ones back, they're just not as good. Heavier and smaller image and the engineering isn't as slick. CU is without doubt the way to go if you can afford the extra. Very cheap in Kalymnos apparently.

Grim 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks all for the useful info. As they are are a gift I suppose I shouldn't be tight and splash the cash!
 Fraser 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

It's not that the Y&Y ones are bad, they're not - they're good. It's just that, for me, the CU glasses are definitely better and worth the extra cost.
 AlanLittle 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

I've used CUs over prescription glasses with no problems. I was suspicious of the metal frames but they don't come into contact
 rgold 12 Nov 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

Another user of CU's over prescription lenses. They work fine, no scratching.
 TonyB 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

I've used Y&Y over glasses (both normal and sunglasses) and never found a problem.
Tony

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...