Sleeping bag for Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Street 09 Nov 2015
I'm off to Norway in February and we are going to be doing some camping and snow holing. I've been recommended to get a sleeping bag rated to -18C and as none of my current bags are this warm it looks like I need a new one.

The bag will be used with an Exped Downmat 7UL and Alpkit Hunka XL bivvy that I already own. I've got a couple bags in mind, the ME Glacier 1000 or the RAB Ascent 900. The Glacier being slightly warmer, the Ascent being slightly cheaper and lighter. Does anyone have any experience of either of these? Would something like the ME Glacier 750 rated to -15 be warm enough? I can get this model fairly cheaply but I don't want to be shivering myself to sleep at night!
 GarethSL 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Street:

You can add around 10C of extra warmth using a liner. Could be an option to check those out if you don't fancy forking out for a new bag
 Siward 09 Nov 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Or, given the snow holing, a synthetic overbag which will keep the down bag much drier- particularly over successive nights. I'm tempted to make one with thinsulate or similar from an online fabric supplier- should be a fairly simple project (and cheaper than Phd's £200 version!).
 wbo 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Street: are you going to be carrying this in a rucksack , on a sled? Is bulk and weight a concern?

OP Street 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Street:

Ideally I'd like to keep bulk and weight down. It will be carried in a rucksack and I intend to use it for other winter camping in the UK around Snowdonia and Scotland. I already have a silk liner that I've used in huts, I suppose that could add a couple degrees warmth if I was to go for the 750 bag.
 Mr Trebus 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Street:

I think albeit might have a sale on bags at the moment.

Something like this http://www.rockrun.com/rab-module-top-bag?gclid=CjwKEAiApYGyBRC-g_jIstuduV8... could be used to beef up your current bag.
 Siward 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Street:

Depends how flush you're feeling but how about item number 131648285772 on that auction site?
Clauso 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Street:

I initially read the title of your post, and thought to myself "That seems like a really optimistic offer, even by the standards of the For Sale/Wanted forum!".
OP Street 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Street:
That Iceline looks like a bargain! Shame it's probably a bit overkill for what I need otherwise I'd have snapped it up.

Unfortunately, my warmest bag is a Neutrino 400 which does me most of the year here, but even with a liner probably isn't going to be up scratch for Norway.
Post edited at 23:01
 wbo 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Street: I'd pik up the iceline I think - not really overkill or this

OP Street 10 Nov 2015
In reply to wbo:

Is it not a bit overkill for UK winters though? I'm likely to use it over here a bit too through the winters.
 wbo 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Street: Maybe, maybe not. I don't run cold, but I don't like sleeping with all my clothes on either.

Skimp here and your alternatives are being cold or carrying a bulky fleece liner

angry pirate 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Street:

I've got an old snowline which is ace for most stuff but in the depths of winter I always wish I'd chucked the extra thirty notes at the iceline.
That said, I am a very cold sleeper (read big wuss) and I hate kipping in too many layers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...