How do I find ski-touring partners in Nevada / Utah?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cathy 07 Nov 2015
I've got a client sending me to Las Vegas in March. So clearly I should go skiing. I'd rather do backcountry than resort skiing. I have all the gear and required experience, but have never skied in the USA. Any suggestions as to how I find partners to tour with?
 pneame 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Cathy:

Many years ago I stayed at Alta Lodge outside Salt Lake City - they had group dining. I met two complete strangers at breakfast and we ended up skiing together for 3 days - a really great time.

Americans tend to be pretty friendly - not hard to find people to ski with if you just turn up and be sociable

That was downhill, but many places in the US encourage backcountry skiing. And Alta is, or was a different sort of place. Not nearly as commercial as many places.

.... I just looked at the prices.... it's gone up a bit, it seems. Good grief
 IainL 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Cathy:

Try googling backcountry skiing Sierras or Ruby Mts, or try Supertopo. They'll give you starting links and ideas.
 HeMa 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Cathy:
TetonGravityResearch forums might be a good start... Atleast around SLC, people do go out quite a bit and I had no problems hookin' up with partners while I was there. But then again I had been active on TGR and some other forums I the past, so this made things easier.

And as was stated above. Americans tend to be rather friendly and social... So joining them should be rather easy.

That said, I would not Focus solely on touring whilst lift served skiing can be a hoot. The snow is good and most resorts offer controlled sidecountry (slackcountry).

Fat skis might be required. I was skiing on 185 cm long skis, that were 136mm at the waist and still my whopping lard ass of 75 kg ended up neck deep on them turns. It was good, as in really the best snow on earth... Though haven't yet sampled Hokkaido, only the main island of Japan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...