Christmas Aviemore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
davtay 05 Nov 2015
Hi all, new to site, after a bit of advice if possible, went to Avimore in the summer, got eaten alive but loved it so thinking of going again between Christmas and new year staying in the bunk house. We will have 2 full days to get out and about, I've looked at the map but was wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of good days out, were walkers and scramblers not climbers, we have crampons walking axes etc usually go to snowdonia or the lakes at Christmas but fancied more snow. Not really experienced winter mountaineers so somewere where its less avalanche prone would be helpful. Thanks.
 Mark Bull 05 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

Cairngorm via the Sron na Cha-no ridge from the lower (Ciste) car park is a pleasant day out: nothing too steep, and avoids most of the ski area.
Bynack More is quite long but straightforward http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/bynackmore.shtml
Sgor Gaoith from Glen Feshie is another option, though beware that the summit lies right next to a steep drop! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/sgor-gaoith.shtml

If the weather is good, and there isn't too much fresh snow, then getting over to Macdui or Braeriach is quite doable, though for the latter you may need to start/finish in the dark.

For shorter days, or iffy weather, try Meall a' Bhuachaille http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/meallabhuachaille.shtml or Geal-charn Mor http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/geal-charn-mor.shtml or head down the A9 to Drumochter.

CurlyStevo 05 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

There may or may not be snow.

If you don't know about these already then do some research:
- navigation in a white out
- avalanche awareness (ie where it is likely to occur and when, what a dodgy slope looks like, how to dig a test pit etc)

this site is handy and will be operational by then

http://www.sais.gov.uk/northern-cairngorms/

Regarding what is safe and what isn't avalanche wise you really need to know the recent conditions, precipitation and wind directions / strengths.

Also bare in mind the Scottish weather can be brutal and winds so strong you can't walk are not that uncommon.
davtay 05 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks for the info, done the Glencoe area in severe storms in November a couple of years ago so got a bit of an idea what we could expect, if its that bad we will turn round and come down, were not scared to admit defeat, there's always another day. I have winterhighland switched on all winter checking the snow and avalanche conditions on there, we were going to do Glencoe last Christmas but the avalanche forecast was very high for the areas we wanted so went camping to Scarfell instead, read a lot of books watched the BMC dvd loads of times but never had opportunity to put into practice yet, so hopefully will have a dig to spot the weak layers.
davtay 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:

Cheers I will check them out on the map, was looking at Macdui but it looked like it might be a bit too far, we will have to see how early we can get up after a night in the old bridge inn, not bothered about doing mega long days, it's a bit of an holiday as well.
 CurlyStevo 05 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:
Remember it's more about the aspect than the area normally when it comes to Avalanche risk. If you can plan a day where you are not on any dodgy aspects / slopes (or potentially under on a high risk forecast) then you can often still go out even if some aspects are looking pretty serious.

The SAIS site that I linked is 'the' site for Avalanche info in Scotland, I'm not sure if winterhigland just replicate some of the SAIS info but in any case I'd use SAIS for the Avalanche risk side of things. SAIS actually have experts go up the hill and check the conditions on the ground. The SAIS blogs are seriously good and worth reading also.

Have you ever been in a white out? (Ie everything's is white the ground the sky the lot you can't make out any features, hills, paths, nothing - generally happens in full snow cover with fog and potentially heavy snow coming down) It presents interesting nav difficulties......
Post edited at 18:56
 Mark Bull 05 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:
Macdui is fine in good weather (about 16km round trip and 800m of ascent from the ski car park), but has very tricky navigation in poor visibility. You can go up either via Fiachaill a' Coire Cas (straightforward) or Fiachaill Coire an t-Sneachda (a bit scrambly, Grade II if you keep to the crest, but difficulties all avoidable on the right), and return via the W side of Coire an Lochain. Best to avoid the Goat Track out of Coire an t-Sneachda, which can be avalanche prone or very icy.

> if its that bad we will turn round and come down, were not scared to admit defeat, there's always another day.

That's a very sensible attitude, but you need to be aware that once you are up on the main Cairngorm plateau, there are often no quick and easy routes down to lower level.
Post edited at 18:56
davtay 05 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Cheers for that, I suppose you've got to go out to get the experience with as much info as possible, the winterhighland site links straight to the SAIS site, I like the site because you can see the snow building up in the gullies and how it drifts and blows about, we were on the glencoe ski resort in the summer, it's unreal how much snow falls and gets moved about. I think i might have posted this on the wrong page, if so apologies to everyone.
 CurlyStevo 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:
Ive been up on the plateau myself unable to get off the hill by any of the normal routes without the snow cracking under foot in a storm, eventually found a way down but it was beginning to feel pretty edgy!

An option for a much easier day is up fiachaill a' Corrie Cas traverse the cliffs (watching not to go down Fiachaill a' Corrie t-scheachda) and go down the west side of Corrie an Lochain, you could take in the summit of cairngorm also on route although that would make navigation a bit trickier in poor vis.
Post edited at 19:28
davtay 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks for your help, sounds like the plateau is a bit like our Kinder scout plateau for the potential of getting lost on, only higher, colder and snowier.
 OwenM 05 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

I spend New Year in or around Avimore most years, it's not the best time to be honest. Generally it's too early for good snowy conditions. Expect very strong winds anything up to 100mph, rain or sleat rather than lots of snow and temperatures fluctuating from + 7 to -7 degrees C. Day light is limited only 09.30ish to 16.30ish it can be very grey all the time.
davtay 05 Nov 2015
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks, only dilemma I've got now is whether to book the bunkhouse or not, like I said earlier its a bit of an holiday as well so if its too bad high up we can stay low or stay in the pub!!!
Graeme G 05 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

Remember there's bugger all daylight. That said it's a brilliant place anytime of year. If you can't get high you can do loads of decent day walks visiting bothys up the glens or just wandering around Rothiemurchus.

Harry Ellis 06 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay
I will be up in Aviemore thjs winter, if i'm free at all when you are up I'll be happy to go out with you and give you what help i can. I am preparing for Winter ML assessment so could be a win win. Give me a shout when you know dates.
Harry
davtay 06 Nov 2015
In reply to thegoatstroker:

Thanks for your kind offer, the dates we are looking at will be the 28th and 29th of December this year.
Cheers
davtay 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Sounds good, I'm sure we'll make good use of our time, I fancy a night out in a bothy, I suppose they get busy close to Aviemore though.
Graeme G 06 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

Not necessarily. I once spent 3 nights between Xmas and New Year in Bob Scott's with only my mate for company. Bliss. Mind that was a while ago so maybe got busier in the last decade......
 CurlyStevo 06 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:
This walk could work if you don't want to go too high one of the days and also if the Avalanche risk is low on west facing slopes (but high on some other aspects) which is quite typical.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10854
Post edited at 10:53
Graeme G 06 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

And a cake shop at the end....
davtay 07 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Cheers, I will check them all out on the map, cake sounds good as well.
bothybob 10 Nov 2015
If the weather is not to great, a night in Ryvoan bothy would be a good option, with a return to Glenmore over Meall Buchaille

davtay 10 Nov 2015
In reply to bothybob:

How many does the bothy sleep ? Don't want to carry extra camping gear if possible, also do you need fuel for a fire and if so can you gather it from the Queens wood ?
 pass and peak 10 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

NO: If you want a fire you bring in your own sticks and coal!
You'll get 4 people on the raised Bench with same on floor so should be room! Only thing you'll not need is your tent. If you decide to Bothy (good idea if weather crap) Take ALL your rubbish back out with you, also do a good turn and take out the rubbish others have left! More info on the Rules here http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/Page.asp?page=bothy-code.asp
davtay 10 Nov 2015
In reply to pass and peak:

Cheers for that, I wouldn't take wood off trees thats why I said gather and wouldn't dream of leaving litter although I know that there are plenty of people who seem to have no trouble in doing so.
Graeme G 10 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

Please don't gather. That also has a huge effect on the attempts to replant the Abernethy forest. It's an easy walk in and the fire is an open one and gives off a good heat. The effort to carry wood and coal in is next to nothing.

davtay 10 Nov 2015

No worries, wouldn't want to break any rules.
Graeme G 10 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

Not so much a rule. More an investment in the future. Eventually Rothiemurchus and Abernethy forests will be joined over the Ryvoan Pass. Just imagine how beautiful the area will look then.
davtay 10 Nov 2015

Just out of interest are they natural forests or planted pine forests, the Abernethy forest seems to have an abrupt end to it, its hard to imagine the area looking anymore beautiful than it already does but if anything can do it it's trees.
Graeme G 10 Nov 2015
In reply to davtay:

Natural. But interrupted by human activity. Ideally human activity might act more for the positive now
davtay 10 Nov 2015

Lets hope so.
 george mc 11 Nov 2015
In reply to bothybob:

> If the weather is not to great, a night in Ryvoan bothy would be a good option, with a return to Glenmore over Meall Buchaille

Just keep in mind Ryvoan can be very popular - especially at that time of year. Space may be at a premium. It's not too far to walk in and back out but worth having a Plan B in mind.

Seeing at use of bothies was being discussed this might be of interest.

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7897

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...