High altitude boots for women

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 clouds 05 Nov 2015
Does anyone know of any brands of mountaineering boots suitable for 6000m+ that come in women's sizes? My feet are really tiny so the biggest I could sensibly hope to wear is a UK 4 and there just doesn't seem to be anything out there that small. Any ideas?

Thanks!
 Rich W Parker 05 Nov 2015
In reply to clouds:

You could try getting in touch with Adele Pennington - tremendous high altitude mountaineer - and quite small. I know this because some years ago she kindly volunteered to be a 'casualty' for a GMRT cave rescue exercise.
 Tom Briggs 05 Nov 2015
In reply to clouds:
Sportiva's new double boot, the G2 (out in December apparently) should be available in a euro 37, though you might also find the new version of the Scarpa Phantom 6000 (euro 38) also fits. That's coming out at the end of this month, I've been told.
Post edited at 17:00
OP clouds 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Tom Briggs:

I think a 38 is probably pushing it but the G2 sounds exciting!
Ysgo 06 Nov 2015
OP clouds 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Ysgo:

I had not seen that, thanks!
Climber Phil 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Tom Briggs: it depends if they're going to bring them in as normal stock being so small. More likely to be a special order to be honest

Tom Briggs 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

A decent independent shop will get a pair for you. There is an increasing demand for women's smaller sizes of double boots, though I'm not sure the mainstream stores realise this.
Climber Phil 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Tom Briggs:
Only downside normally is, if it's a special order you've normally got to take them even if not perfect fit. Had issues trying to find b3's for my daughter til her feet grew lol
 Caralynh 09 Nov 2015
In reply to clouds:

I got some Boreal Super Latoks from Outside on special order. Used to well over 5500m (the trip could have gone to 6000m so was prepared for that). Sadly they were then stolen but I'd get the same again. I'm a UK size 6
LakeDistrictMountaineer 09 Nov 2015
In reply to clouds:

Boreal G1 Lites are available from size 3 upwards.

Pm me if you want more info on them regards to fit and uk stockists.

Ad
 RockingKatja 11 Nov 2015
In reply to clouds:

Kind of had the same problem, but being size 6 to 6.5 I had at least *some* choice. Although most boots I found where 7 and upwards.

Don't forget that you want to wear some thick socks in those boots, plus our feet swell at altitude, especially high altitude of 5000m and above. So if you're normally UK 4, you definately wouldn't want to buy a UK 4 boot.

I went to the showroom of my expedition organizer of choice and got an outstanding service in choosing and fitting the right boot. From measuring my feet sitting and standing (and the difference between), advice and on socks etc and trying on a few boots. I've got bad circulation so anything other than double boots were out of the question.

I finally settled for the already mentioned Boreal G1 Lite. Intend to break them in in Scotland this winter and then use on the likes of Elbrus, Island Peak, Chimborazo etc. I ended up buying size 8 (!!!) wearing the boots and mountaineering socks for about an hour while we talked about other gear. Could still wiggle my toes a little bit, but heel lift was minimal.

Can only recommend to go to a shop and try them on with all of the above in mind. I would never buy them online really. At 6000m I don't want to worry about the fit of my boot, blisters, numb/cold toes etc. The new Phantom 6000 and G2 are certainly options as well.
OP clouds 11 Nov 2015
In reply to RockingKatja & adman29:

Thanks, will investigate G1s as well. I hadn't really hoped to find anything down to a UK 3 (I'm a UK 2 in proper shoes!), hence really needing women's boots!
In reply to clouds:

I'm a size UK4 but I've always worn UK5 mountaineering boots as with thick socks they've always been a good fit. I actually find 4s too small (even though every single other pair of shoes I own are 4s). I have Sportiva Women's Nepal Extremes and Scarpa Mantas and both have been great. Good luck!
 RockingKatja 14 Nov 2015
In reply to roxyroundtheworld:

> I'm a size UK4 but I've always worn UK5 mountaineering boots as with thick socks they've always been a good fit. I actually find 4s too small (even though every single other pair of shoes I own are 4s). I have Sportiva Women's Nepal Extremes and Scarpa Mantas and both have been great. Good luck!

Wouldn't go up to 6000m with anything else but double boots
LakeDistrictMountaineer 02 Dec 2015
In reply to RockingKatja:

Where did you buy your G1's Katja?
 girlymonkey 03 Dec 2015
In reply to clouds:

I feel for you! I had enough trouble getting normal b3s in size 4. It makes me laugh when people tell you to go and try on lots in a shop! At one stage when I was buying my last pair, I had over £1000 of boots in my house as I had to order several pairs online to try them and then return the rest.
Hope you get something sorted
Good luck!
 Mr. Lee 03 Dec 2015
In reply to clouds:

Where were you planning to go and when? 6000m in Karakoram summer for example is not that cold.
cb294 03 Dec 2015
In reply to clouds:

Any chance of a business trip to Munich? I am sure that between the different bigger shops you could find a selection of small sized HA boots to try. I am looking for smallish boots for my daughter, but we will wait with the shopping until we are in back Bavaria over Christmas.

CB
 RockingKatja 10 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

Bought them with my expedition organizer Jagged Globe. They have a small online shop for their customers and a showroom in Sheffield.
LakeDistrictMountaineer 10 Dec 2015
In reply to RockingKatja:

Ah I see. Was just wondering if you bought them from me that's all and we had met already.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...