Rock climbing and mountaineering pants?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 02 Nov 2015
Hello! I'm looking for a new or second hand softshell trouser for summer climbing and mountaineering, that could be used in winter for ski touring with a thin baselayer.
Today I own a Montane Terra Zip Off pants in Large and the fit is fantastic (although I would prefer an elastic waistband). I've tried a Rab Torque in L, it is good but I find the fit tight. Googling, I've read that Schoeller Fabric are the best.
What do you recommend? What is your experience with
1. Mammut courmayeur (Schoeller) - it looks pretty large
2. Rab sawtooth (Matrix DWS) - how does it compare to Schoeller
3. Montane Vertigo Light (Material?)
4. Other?
Thank you

cragrat 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed Userpikadim:

I have a pair of Mammut Basejumps. Too heavy in a hot summer but otherwise perfect!
 CurlyStevo 03 Nov 2015

decathalon ones - I've had a few different models from there for 30-60 quid and they are great!
 Iain Thow 03 Nov 2015

I use Mountain Equipment Ibex Pants. Light, wind-resistant, not too sweaty, slightly stretchy and ridiculously hardwearing. Used for UK cragging, summer peaks in the Alps and Pyrenees and Scottish hillwalking/scrambling, they've been spot on.

Iain
 Martin Bennett 03 Nov 2015

As mentioned above by Iain the M.E. Ibex is hard to beat for all but the hottest climes (and climbs!). Stretchy and comfortable so good for climbing as well as walking , from The Lakes to Summer in The Alps, and look good for the pub.

Schoeller fabric is very good. The best climbing pants I ever had were the Sprayway Mountain Jeans I got in the eighties when Schoeller was a new thing - still have 'em but worn thin now! At the same time I paid a lot more for some Mammut Schoeller trousers which I also still have - very good and tough as old boots but not as comfy as those Sprayway ones.

For warm UK days and climbing in hot places I use Outdoor Research Ferrosi trousers -- very light and 4 way stretch with a waist band unobtrusive under a harness. Best I've had for that are the Lowe Alpine Paradigm pants with elasticated waist so no button or clip or belt fastening to interfere with harness.
 Pwdr 03 Nov 2015

I have the Sawtooth, used for cragging, mountain routes, walking (long distance trails, hills etc.)

Comfy, stretchy (very), good DWR, lightweight, grey so not as warm in the sun as black, zipped pockets good, but a high waist that I don't like. Interferes with harness/hip belt for me and if it rides down the ankles bunch up.

Can't compare it to Schoeller, I'm afraid.
 Gazlynn 03 Nov 2015

I have the Mammut courmayeur and The ME Ibex pants.

The Mammuts are great but not as hard wearing as I thought they would be, also they are pretty thin for a winter climbing pant and I wouldn't advise.

The Ibex are very robust and a little warmer than the Mammuts and have been an excellent 3 season trouser.

good luck with your choice

cheers

Gaz

climbwhenready 03 Nov 2015

I'm an M&S boxer man, myself.
 DannyC 03 Nov 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

My thoughts exactly. Had to read a few posts before realising we were actually talking about trousers.

I was particularly interested in Zip Off pants, but did think chaffing would surely be an issue.

D.
 GrahamD 03 Nov 2015
In reply to DannyC:

That's a pair of trousers as well, not a trouser. But then what do I know ? I still use Ron Hills or Craghoopers
 nutme 03 Nov 2015
Vote for Decathlone as well. I am using SIMOND ALPINISM PANTS for summer alpine routes:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-pants-id_8010075.html

My only complain is the color. Wish it would be something bright.
 Trangia 03 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> decathalon ones - I've had a few different models from there for 30-60 quid and they are great!

I also learned that they have low melting point when I inadvertently left them in the washer drier when a hot drier cycle came on.....
Post edited at 16:46
In reply to nutme:

> My only complain is the color. Wish it would be something bright.

These bright enough for you...?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/orange-rock-pants-id_8305030.html

They're much more like the Alpinism Light trousers, though; lighter and more air permeable fabric.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-pants-2014-id_8304123.html

I wore the Alpinism Light trousers alpine skiing this year in April, over a lightweight base layer. Admittedly, it was warm enough to only need a thin PowerDry base layer on upper body...

The other possibility is their Quechua Forclaz 500 Warm trousers. Even available in something other than black:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-500-warm-mens-walking-trousers-brown-id...
 olddirtydoggy 03 Nov 2015

For summer and winter I use different stuff. I got a pair of cheap, old strechy walking trousers for summer cragging but for the white stuff I have a pair of Haglofs something or others. For climbing I don't tend to go to expensive unless it's ice.
 Mr Trebus 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> As mentioned above by Iain the M.E. Ibex is hard to beat for all but the hottest climes (and climbs!). Stretchy and comfortable so good for climbing as well as walking , from The Lakes to Summer in The Alps, and look good for the pub.

I agree, I love the ibex. I have them in black and a pair of tan ones that were factory samples for when it is warmer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...