Ice axe head systems - what's best or worst?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 02 Nov 2015
Just wondering what peoples views are on this? I've used BD, Grivel, and DMM Apex and witnessed Mountain technology and DMM Fly's... I quite like the BD as it's super simple. The Apex is OK and the grivel system on my light wings just works. The MT's had self loosening bolts and the Fly's where just atrocious to actually change the picks compared to other systems. So which systems do you like/loath and why?
 Graham 02 Nov 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

I love the BD system. Simple, reliable, easy to tighten in the field without tools (just use the pick of your other tool). Picks compatible with any other BD pick ever made. There's a reason why BD doesn't change it's pick attachment system and everybody else does... Had some Quark Ergos (original ones) that loosened in the field and didn't have an set of hex's to tighten them - trip ruined. Have had similar issues with friend's nomics and grivel tools. Have heard many horror stories about changing Grivel's monster picks Picks will loosen/break eventually, so best to have a robust system that is easy to tighten/change.
OP beardy mike 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Graham:

Yeah - it's got to be said, the concept is a great one, one size fits all. Hate how when you have different axes you need to buy different spares... Just go for one system fer christs sake! At least with in the same company at least. Never understood the Black shafted versus Yellow shafted axes system of grivel a few years back... they're not even that different!
 olddirtydoggy 02 Nov 2015
In reply to beardy mike:
Black Diamond all the way, one size fits all with a simple tool. Simple is always best.
Post edited at 22:38
 StuDoig 03 Nov 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

another like for BD - simple/robust is best and after 10yrs of regular Scottish abuse the bolts / threads are still good on my rages so seems pretty robust imo. As others have said, common, interchangeable pics, adze, hammer etc between their range of axes is a great idea (though I do thing the micro adze and micro hammer are entirely pointless...).

Cheers,

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...