100+ litre Expedition packs? which one to go for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jack Humphreys 02 Nov 2015
Hey guys!

In desperate need of finding a big expedition pack for self supported multi day expeditions in new Zealand next year!

can only seem to find a few options just wondering if anyone has has any experience with these sort of capacity packs and which ones are the best to go for!?

cheers

jack Humphreys
 SenzuBean 02 Nov 2015
In reply to jack Humphreys:

What kind of expedition are you doing that needs 100+L?
 ben b 02 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Sounds like most long NZ trips...

Worth a search on here as gets asked about every couple of months. Get it before arriving in NZ as it will be considerably cheaper.

B
 SenzuBean 02 Nov 2015
In reply to ben b:

Well it depends on the trip, which is why I asked . I took about 80L for my last 8-day tramp in NZ and had a tiny bit of space left over.
 Andy Taylor 02 Nov 2015

I got aiguille sacks near Kendal to make one- excellent sack and reasonable price

Graeme G 02 Nov 2015

No experience of anything that big but can say anything by Osprey is going to be a good buy. There my first choice bag in every situation.
 Rob Parsons 02 Nov 2015
What options have you found so far? And what kinds of trip are you thinking of? Long tramping trips where you'll be carrying the pack the whole time? Or other types of trip where you might want to hump in huge loads to a basecamp? Or ... ?

A 100+ litre pack is *big*; there won't be that many commercial options to pick from.
Post edited at 19:14
 damowilk 02 Nov 2015

Andy Kirkpatrick had a good review of big packs on his website.
My big NZ pack is about 90l, it's a Golite one, not much help as they're bust now.
I generally try to use a pack this big here as little as I can: usually for big carries or ski tours to a base camp area, but the walk ins can be gnarly here!
 Graham 02 Nov 2015

I've got a first generation Gregory Denali Pro (105litres) - very comfortable big-load hauler. It's what a lot of people use on Denali (where big loads are common). great access to stuff, very durable. I live in NZ (wanaka) and I have NEVER used it here. What are you planning to do? In fact, I'll sell you mine and save you carrying it from the UK. I think people will have an easier time recommending a pack if we know what you want to do with it. I don't pull the Denali Pro out unless I'm going to be going for more than 2 weeks and carrying climbing gear in addition to the normal camping stuff. Feel free to ask questions about NZ in addition to the pack if you want.
 ben b 02 Nov 2015

See also:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=624412

If I'm heading into the hills with the kids for a few days then 100l is not unreasonable

b

stratandrew 02 Nov 2015

+1 for Aiguille Alpine. Hand made in Staveley to order.
 SenzuBean 02 Nov 2015

Anyway to answer the question, I have found the NZ designed Aarn packs to be:
a) bomber
b) extremely comfortable
c) extremely functional

I've been using one in the UK for hillwalking and find it suits everything up to grade 2 scrambles, and really cold weather (some of the bag fittings are hard to operate with frozen and/or gloved hands).

I used a Guiding Light + exped pockets for tramps in NZ, and use a Natural exhiliration as a crag bag (no balance pockets) + hillwalking (sometimes with pockets) + short exped bag (with pockets) in the UK.
 damowilk 02 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

I've had slight different opinion of my Aarn pack: good for tramping, but I hate it for anything where I want to see my feet and get close to the rock etc. It's also such a faff to get on and off, that you need to get into the mindset that once it's on, it stays on.
 SenzuBean 02 Nov 2015
In reply to damowilk:

> I've had slight different opinion of my Aarn pack: good for tramping, but I hate it for anything where I want to see my feet and get close to the rock etc. It's also such a faff to get on and off, that you need to get into the mindset that once it's on, it stays on.

Totally agree - and why I just about never take lunch breaks
Great for winter when you don't want to anyway!
 Dell 02 Nov 2015

Couple of points:
1) Water is readily available everywhere in NZ, so you won't need to be carrying more than a couple of litres + a way to filter and purify.
2) Water is readily available everywhere in NZ, so you can carry dehydrated food.

I can't see where you'd need 100L, especially if you're intending on having a good time.
 james Campbell 03 Nov 2015

Either:
Berghaus vulcan
Karrimor Sf Sabre 60-100
 d_b 03 Nov 2015

I really like my POD X-POD. 90l, expands to 110 IIRC. Really though, your best bet is to find a younger and more enthusiastic minion and offload stuff on them
 leon 1 03 Nov 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:
And unbelievably they are presently selling the X-Pod off at only £49=99 !! Reduced from £195
They seem to have 20 + of each in size 2 +3 in red and blue but get in quickly
http://www.podsacs.com/i/q/CCPX/x-pod-back-pack
Post edited at 10:45
 herbe_rouge 03 Nov 2015

I'd go with the Tasmanian Tiger Range pack - 120L, bomber and extremely comfortable.
 d_b 03 Nov 2015
In reply to leon 1:

That is an insanely good deal. I spent over 100 on mine years ago, and that was reduced.

We have always used the Osprey Zenith range they do 88 and 105, they are light, adjustable and very comfortable.
 olliehales 03 Nov 2015

I have two 'Karimmor SF' packs, a 30L and a 45L and the quality is great. They are a different company to Karimmor (now owned by sports direct).

They do a 100L (Sabre 80-130) version, and sure the quality will be just as fine as the smaller ones.

Ollie.
In reply to Graham:

Hi there!

I work in the outdoor retail industry for ellis brigham in chester and have access to a number of different packs! but none of the capacity that i need!

I am coming over to New zealand next may for a year! me and my climbing partner are spending a year summiting as many of the biggest peaks as we can with the intention of setting up some new lines in the process! We will be doing so under our own steam! planning on setting up base camps in areas far away from anywhere! and staying there for a number of days checking out the possibility of first accents! therefore we will be carrying alot more food and kit with us! so we can sustain our stay in these areas for 2 weeks plus!

We have already got help from a couple of brands regarding climbing kit and clothing but i am undecided on the pack to go for!
 ballsac 03 Nov 2015

its all the extra exclamation marks that take up the room....
 Graham 03 Nov 2015

Well you're certainly enthusiastic... If I had any advice about pack buying it would be that if you think you need a properly big pack, then don't get one of those 60L that can expand to 100L packs. Just go whole hog and get a 100L pack otherwise you will regret it on the big load carrying days. you've got enough room to tuck a light 30L pack inside for missions. On Denali (the home of 100L+ packs) , and the place where packs like the denali pro or mountain hardware's BMG packs were designed for - people pretty much carried those two packs.Didn't see any ospreys. A few lowe alpine packs, some deuters. I'd go for the BMG if I had to get another one. Make sure you get something simple and burly because the NZ bush will shred it. I'd put more effort into getting a nice durable tent and tarp system to make sure you stay dry in the rain.... there's a reason the hut system is so good here.

Someone once told me that "the money you spend on a helicopter is less than the money you spend replacing the gear you've destroyed on the walk in".
 Damo 04 Nov 2015

Cheap, good, but going, going, ..... http://www.podsacs.com/i/q/CCPX/x-pod-back-pack
 Scott K 05 Nov 2015
Another option is Cilogear if you can get it. Their worksacks are first class and the 75 expands to 90 and compresses to about 40. Loads of attachment points and you can add pockets etc. they have an option of getting one made in non woven dyneema but you would need a loan to buy it!
 Graham 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Scott K:
I'd put a vote in against Cilogear. I've had 3 and they've all fallen apart very very quickly. (lest you think I'm a fool for buying 3, I bought 1, it fell apart, I got sent a replacement, that fell apart, I got sent a replacement, that fell apart, I got offered a replacement and said "no thanks")
Post edited at 08:16
 ben b 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Scott K:

I'd have to say Cilogear and NZ approaches would be a poor fit, sadly. There's a reason most NZ outdoor gear weighs 20-50% more than US or UK equivalents, and it isn't due to antiquated design as much as the environment.

b

PS I have my old 100l POD Expedition in the cupboard in Dunedin if you want it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...