Antique first-aid kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 01 Nov 2015
AND another thing that made me chuckle from my mum's house-clearance (see home-made wine thread, which I hope will eventually make me chuckle): I salvaged bits and pieces that I thought might come in handy for my climbing first-aid kit. Mostly bandages ... including one very neatly packaged bandage whose label said "Home Office Air Raid Precautions Department".

Perhaps there will come a day when I unwrap it, in a tight spot on a crag, only to have it disintegrate with age... but I doubt it. They made things properly in them days.

L
 The Lemming 01 Nov 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I was in the Black country Victorian Museum the other week. While in the chemist I spotted some dressings with cyanide in them. All the rage, so they say.
 jimjimjim 01 Nov 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Perhaps there will come a day when I unwrap it, in a tight spot on a crag, only to have it disintegrate with age...

A few years ago I was descending the Benn with a few mates after doing tower ridge and we came across some underdressed walkers who were in a mess and awaiting rescue. My mate puffed his chest out and ever prepared, whipped out his emergency orange bivi bag that had obviously been in his sack since the seventies. As he took the tape off and shook it out into the wind it disintegrated into a thousand pieces and spread itself across the mountain side....sad to see the mountain littered but hilarious all the same.
 The Lemming 02 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Just got round to adding the dressing from the museum.

One wonders what other nightmares of our medical history are well and truly behind us?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the1lemming/22060009914/in/dateposted-public/
 Wingnut 02 Nov 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:
There's a shooting range I go to where they still have the original first aid kit from when the club was founded ... including the means to treat mustard gas burns and a leaflet describing the Sylvester method of resuscitation. (o::

(Thankfully, it's only retained as a curiosity ... they do have a modern FA kit as well.)
Post edited at 11:15
 Co1in H 02 Nov 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:
Seriously. Throw it away, burn it.
If you did use it on a wound it's more likely to harm than heal!
 DerwentDiluted 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Co1in H:

They fetch good money on Ebay, those living history fellas go mad for stuff like that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...