Video showing ascent of Mukot Peak (6087m), Dolpo, Nepal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark123 01 Nov 2015
Here's my short video of our ascent of Mukot Peak (6087m), Dolpo, Nepal, Himalayas on the 17 October 2015, following our team receiving the first permit to climb this peak.
youtube.com/watch?v=QdsitkGJoLk&
The Sherpa team who organised this trip, along with the Nepalese authorities, consider this to be the first recorded ascent of this peak (although it's possible the peak was ascended in the past?). The alpine grade was only PD and our Sherpa Team led the route. The Dolpo region is stunningly beautiful and very remote, it took us 10 days of trekking to reach the base camp (just north of Dhaulagiri).

herbe_rouge 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark123:

Really nice - congratulations. We're thinking of taking the kids (currently 8 & 11) in a couple of years time -and are desperate to avoid EBC - any detail on the trek difficulty for that region would be much appreciated.

atb

steve
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Have you thought about going west, to the Annapurnas? We took ours at 5 and 10 and did the annapurna base camp trek. Endless steps and, unfortunately, a linear route, but easily done and far from crowded. Pokhara is an easy base to work from and road links to Kathmandu are pretty good these days. Additionally, that side has some decent rafting and Chitwan national park is fairly close.

Never been to EBC; for the next trip, will probably skirt slightly northwest of that point.
In reply to Mark123:

Nice. In my middle age, I've suddenly realised that this is more what I want to do in terms of climbing now: all those wasted years of cragging (!)
 herbe_rouge 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Many thanks for that, very helpful and may well keep them happy - it's the crowds that we really want to avoid.
OP Mark123 02 Nov 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Thanks Steve. In previous years I've been on parts of the EBC on the way to and from some of the trekking peaks and I agree it can be unpleasantly busy on the main EBC trek trail. Unfortunately tourist numbers were about 70% down for October in Nepal due to earthquake concerns, but obviously this is expected to return to normal levels by next year.

The Dolpo trek was fabulous and we didn't meet or hear of any other trekkers or other western parties over the whole 19 days. However the route we went had quite a number of >5000m passes to get over, including the Mu La at 5700m and some young children could struggle with this? There's no tea houses in the region so it was camping every night, some kids would love this of course!
I agree with Martin that Annapurna could be a good option for children. Maybe a bit busy in peak season, but no where near as busy as EC. Other possible areas to trek with kids could include Langtang and Rolwalling. Neither require flights and both are much much quieter than EBC. However both were badly affected by the earthquake (particularly Langtang) but here's hoping they are back to near normal in a few years time.
OP Mark123 02 Nov 2015
Thanks Martin. Much the same for me; although I'm sure your cragging time wasn't wasted - you can put all these skills to very good use in the Himalayas......
Post edited at 20:57
 1234None 03 Nov 2015

> Pokhara is an easy base to work from and road links to Kathmandu are pretty good these days.

I last did that journey about 5 years ago and wouldn't describe the roads as anything approaching good back then. Has it improved?
 herbe_rouge 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark123:

That's really useful advice which can't really be gleaned from maps - much appreciated. The kids are fine with the altitude and would rather pitch their tent than stay in a tea house, so I think it's mainly a question of how much time we can muster as to which route. Either way, you've inspired us, the eight year old is fixated on EBC and I'd had in mind the Cho La pass to minimise traffic but was still dreading the army of tourists. Martin and your routes are far more attractive and if we can sell it to the eight year old I think we may well bring the plan forward to next year! Thanks for taking the time - really helpful.

sheffieldchris 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark123:

re the road to Pokhara, no the road had not improved other than maybe the quality of the tarmac, it is still horrendously busy on all the steep sections.
If I was going again for some reason the route to Pokhara does not feel as bad as the route back, so I would go out by road and treat myself to a flight back.
In reply to 1234None:

Was out there 2 years ago and found it fine - compared with almost twenty years ago, when it was Russian roulette. I suppose it's all relative, but the Kathmandu- pokhara route isn't even in my top ten scary bus journeys.

Wasn't always tarmaced, for one thing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...