Terrible behaviour in the Snowdonia Mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brass Nipples 29 Oct 2015
This is saddening , I like to think we'd look out for each other in the mountains.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llanberis-mountain-rescue-...
 SenzuBean 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
"However, members of the team were angered when it emerged that, rather than helping, the potential saviour carried on walking, leaving the lone walker on the Pyg track with darkness approaching and no torch."

Literally that's all that's in the news report. Is it not possible that we only have the one side of the story, from the lost woman - and that she did not contact the walker in question but led the MRT to believe she did? The wording in the article suggests it's possible - especially when the advice later on is:

£If you see someone who looks like they could do with a hand, ask them how they£re doing, give them some advice, do anything but leave them to fend for themselves.£

I think it's quite possible from the lack of details we have, that this "potential saviour" had no clue the woman needed rescuing. Before we all pile on scorn.
Post edited at 21:17
Wiley Coyote2 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
Even at this time of year 3.40pm sounds like it gives a couple of hours daylight for a 30 minute descent. I might also have said to her "Just follow this path all the way down to the car park, luv. You can't go wrong." How can you lose the PyG track for Gawd's sake?
Post edited at 22:20
baron 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
I'm guessing that the 'lost' person was chatting to the MRT, presumably on a cell phone, as it appears that they had a running commentary of events.
Two things spring to mind
1. She wasn't actually lost, just a little confused, see the 'epic' thread currently running.
2. Since when did MRT voice a critical opinion about incidents. The article is full of the word 'had' as in 'had to'. Unless I'm mistaken MRT are volunteers and hence do not have to do anything, it's their choice. I would suggest that anybody who can't get their backside off snowdon deserves to suffer an epic. Unless of course they are ill or injured.
This reminds me of a climber who tried to solo Vector at Tremadog but fell and injured his leg. He asked a 'friend' to help him the short distance to the road only to be told that 'if Doug Scott could drag himself off the Ogre then said fallen climber could make his own way to Eric's cafe - or words to that effect.

Pmc
 Wainers44 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

On the same page there is a link to an article talking about a local farmer who wants a booking system to be implemented for climbing Snowdon and also total dog ban.

Maybe could solve both issues and use the booking system to require a level of competence and also a duty to help others......

Better get some booking forms designed.
 d_b 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

Do you get refunds for bad weather?
 ianstevens 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

I originally thought this was going to be about the monstrous parking on show this week, essentially making the road from the Pass to Nant Gwynant single file.

Arguably this is more "serious"...
 Billhook 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Yes it might be our duty to look out for each other in mountains. But you can only go so far.

Many years ago I came across a party high on an exposed ridge in the lakes. Howling gale and wet. There were several folk gathered around a bivvi bag.

On enquiring it appeared one of the party had collapsed and was semi-conscious in the bag.

I suggested that they'd be much more comfortable if they moved a few yards downhill in the lee of the ridge where the conditions were pretty calm. This they refused as, "she's unconscious" despite me explaining that they'd all go down with hypothermia if they stayed where they were without shelter.

At this point I insisted and started to grab the plastic bag she was in and started to gently pull it on the smooth grass downwards.......then I noticed one of them had a big "XXXX Mountain Rescue" badge on his chest (I'll not name it except to say it wasn't a local team).

I was again told they'd be OK but she was unconscious and shouldn't be moved.

I thought bugger you, if you want to freeze its your friend and left them to it.

In fairness to myself I did run all the way to the nearest phone.

abseil 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

> ....How can you lose the PyG track for Gawd's sake?

But that wouldn't surprise me at all TBH.
 Wainers44 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Do you get refunds for bad weather?

Hah, refund, this is Wales mate, no chance....you just go on the banned list if you miss your slot!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...