Mammut smart biner choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 28 Oct 2015
Just acquired a smart and need a krab for it, I've got a Grivel mega twin gate, dmm sentinel or a wild country synergy hms.

Never used an assisted device that uses the krab so any advice world be cool.
 james.slater 29 Oct 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I use a WC Synergy with mine (not the lite one). Fits through the belay device nicely and allows it to swivel. I have the device for double ropes.
 Ben Snook 29 Oct 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Bizarrely, this is something I've been thinking about recently with respect to my grigri! I use a Black Diamond screwgate with a fairly pointed top and straight back (positron maybe?), and with the gate facing to my left (away from my braking hand). Because the krab's spine drops directly down out of the grigri, I don't foul my braking hand when gripping the device in order pay out rope, which is something I've noticed does happen when I use someone else's grigri with a larger, rounder HMS type carabiner. Due to the wider top, these krabs don't allow my fingers to sit so snugly next to the device.

That's probably all just personal preference though. Strange the things we notice whilst belaying friends on projects...

No idea if this would be an issue for a smart. Just make sure the top of the biner can accommodate the number of ropes you need it to (the BD one I have is probably too tight for double ropes), that's probably the most important thing!
 GridNorth 29 Oct 2015
In reply to fire_munki:
I use an Edelrid Slider which works fine. Any large diameter with a round profile where the rope makes contact should be ok.

Al
Post edited at 10:55
 winhill 29 Oct 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I don't think it matters much, I've got a Smart but tend to use a belay master, just because I had a few lying around doing nothing. That does mean I don't see it cross loading at all, whereas a Grigri much more likely to cross load.

One thing I've noticed is that, compared to the SRCs I was used to , it stays in the same place so it's wearing a nice groove in the belay master - something to think about is the cost of the replacement krab.

Sentinels make a nice belay krab but must be slightly less kind to the rope, but I haven't used mine with the Smart.

HMS versions of the Twin Gate and the Magnetron seem a bit OTT for a simple job like belaying.
 PPP 29 Oct 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Can't beat DMM Rhino for the Grigri. It's fantastic.

For more regular belay plates (where rope goes through the carabiner), I am not so sure. I used Black Diamond Gridlock, but didn't like the gate. Upgraded to the Gridlock Magnetron, but that was slightly too complicated/gimmicky to use. Since then, used Rhino, Boa... Got a Petzl Attache for my DMM Pivot and absolutely love it.
 iksander 05 Nov 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I'd recommend a hard anodised one as metal to metal contact can cause premature wear. I use a Climbing Technology Concept SGL HC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...