Replacement "after market" ice pick - trying to find website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 23 Oct 2015
I remember a while ago I stumbled accross a website with a range of forged ice picks for various different tools and I can't seem to find it now, ring any bells with anyone?

Ben
 dek 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Sharp:

This one? I've not actually bought from then yet..

http://krukonogi.com/en/ice-drytooling.html
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015
In reply to dek:

I have, and they are great... Especially the armor steel ones. How ever, just so you know, they are delivered untuned and the armor steel is really, really hard. So initial sharpening was a real chore. They are also wider than atleast normal BD picks, so in really fragile ice they might displace more material than you want (ie. break the ice)... fix this with more filing or live with it.
 dek 23 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Yep, I bookmarked the site, thinking I'd get a couple of BD Laser style picks made of 'Tank' steel... someone mentioned what you just said too.
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015
In reply to dek:

Which axes you have? I'm using Fusion2s and due to the pick angle Lasers (and Fusion picks) are not that much fun on ice. The PF0(A) is akin to the Fusion Ice pick (more or less) and works like a charm on ice. And still robust enough for mixed. So, depending on what you climb... and with what, consider what to get.

In fact I've used the PF0(A)s for over 1.5 seasons, where as generally I can't even get a full season of Lasers (for ice) or Fusions (for mixed).
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Here's a pic of the different pick angles and such... (krukonogi.ch in facebook).
https://www.facebook.com/1580060975558730/photos/pb.1580060975558730.-22075...
 dek 23 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

I've a mix of Grivel, BD DMM and sundry odds and ends, but those cheap Singing Rock Bandits look very interesting,at that price!
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015
In reply to dek:

> I've a mix of Grivel, BD DMM and sundry odds and ends, but those cheap Singing Rock Bandits look very interesting,at that price!

From what I've seen... Bandit = previous Quark model, with some modern tweaks...

So, they are indeed a good options at a bargain price.
 dek 23 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

At my grades they'd be fine, tried old style quarks a few years ago, managed to bend the picks without really noticing at the time, put me off a bit!
 Gazlynn 23 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

I am looking to get new picks for my cobras and they only have PFG (A) in stock for use on ice.

In your opinion are these much better than the BD picks?

cheers

Gaz
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Gazlynn:

Hi,

I'm kind of skeptical about them Giraffe -picks (which the "extended" pick). And for Cobras, and ice... well the Laser works well (albeit on thin ice, you wear them out quickly), or the Titan filed to resemble Laser.

In fact, I'm not sure for pure ice and Viper/Reactor/Cobra the Krukonogies would be a step up... unless you're talkin' about expeditions (because they are stronger). How ever, for mixed the PF2(A)s would be a really good option.

Oh, and drop 'em an email on when the next batch is ready. They run them in batches and the stuff that was available earlier was most likely overstock from last spring. I'm sure they'll romp up the production soon as season is approaching.
 Gazlynn 23 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for the reply

Gaz
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Gazlynn:

No biggie...

Though if you feel like a lower pick angle would help... then I'd try the PF0(A)s. This should make the Viper/Cobra/Reactor to more of a hammer-swing than wrist flick.
 Andrew Wilson 23 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:
I've looked the Krukonogi picks too, but was a bit baffled as to which would be best for me.
Which would you recommend for drytooling/mixed on Ergo's?
I can save my Petzl picks for water ice then.

Andy
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

Honestly, can't really say. However, the greater the number, the more agressive the pick angle.

So I would perhaps look into PN1 or PN2.
 Andrew Wilson 23 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for the info. Does your normal file do the job with the armour steel? Or do you need a special implement?

Andy
 HeMa 23 Oct 2015

normal file is ok... just takes time.
 Scott Anderson 23 Oct 2015

That was the exact question I had for them when I wanted to keep the Ice picks that came with the Nomics just for ice. They recommended the PN1(A). They look and feel great, slightly more aggressive, and really sturdy. Very impressed and with the strong pound it actually worked out quite a good deal.
OP Sharp 24 Oct 2015
In reply to dek:

Cheers, knew ukc would know! Shame it turns out they don't do any that'll fit my axes but never mind.
 HeMa 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Drop 'em a line and perhaps they'll make one soon. I do know that tehy are ever expanding the models they come out and also for which they make pics.
OP Sharp 26 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks, will do
 Pina 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Or you can try these guys: http://www.kuzniaszpeju.pl/produkty/

T rated picks for most manufacturers. They cost ~£18 a pick and charge £17 postage so best to do a bulk order. Only downside is that the website is in Polish.
 HeMa 26 Oct 2015
In reply to J_Trottet:

Nice, some new competition (there's actually a few more others operating from Russia, but information on those is hard to come by).

You have any idea, if the picks from Poland are harder steel than the normal picks (akin to Krukonogi armorsteel)?
 nufkin 27 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

> You have any idea if the picks from Poland are harder steel than the normal picks?

Everything from Poland is harder
 HeMa 27 Oct 2015
In reply to nufkin:

> Everything from Poland is harder

Not true... Cumulus clothing and sleeping bags are nice and fluffy....
 Pina 27 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

From what I can tell it's a standard steel as used by most manufacturers. Waiting for a response from the guys about a few things. Also still waiting to get some picks to have a proper play with them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...