Exped type mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Snugglebunny 21 Oct 2015
Hello,

I am looking to get an expel type mat for Christmas. Which ones would you guys recommend? I would like to get a super comfortable one that doesn't weight too much for wild camping.

I am really confused by all the different options!
 IPPurewater 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Snugglebunny:

There is a comprehensive review here

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews
 buzby 21 Oct 2015

might be best to say when and where you will be using it , winter/ summer or perhaps expeditions.
I've got the exped 9 down mat, really like it but its flipping noisy for some reason.
I do move about a lot at night and I've had a few comments from mates in adjacent tents asking if I've got a rubber doll in there with me.
apart from the noise they are excellent but what model would depend on what you are using it for.
 ScraggyGoat 21 Oct 2015

I have used EXped synmatt UL 7 for several years, very comfy, light and compact but not particularly robust. Customer service rectifying the issues has been faultless. For me three season plus warmth, not quite four seasons. Partner has the warmer down version and likes it. Far better than a standard thermarest for comfort. Even though the customer service has been spot on, if I was buying again I'd look for a matt with a lifetime guarantee.
Post edited at 20:07
Snugglebunny 21 Oct 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

Hello, thank you for the links and thoughts I would only be after a 3 season one. I am just such a light weight that love being comfortable.
 Welsh Kate 21 Oct 2015

The Exped Downmats are very comfortable - you can choose the size and insulation to your preference. But if you like your comfort, I'd suggest you also look at the Sea to Summit series. I borrowed an Ultralight for a trip in the summer, and have now invested in an Ultralight Insulated. I've slept on Downmats and Thermarest NeoAirs. The Sea to Summit is the most comfortable of the lot.
 andrewmc 22 Oct 2015
When I tried to work it all out I think the Neo X-Therm had the highest R-value/weight ratio of any mat - the top ranged Exped mat is slightly warmer but heavier per unit R-value. I would double-check though...

The X-therm is definitely very comfortable; you can choose short/long, tapered/rectangular based on your preferred weight/comfort compromise (I got regular tapered but I am only 5' 7"). If you are short enough the women's X-lite is probably worth looking at; it is warmer than the standard X-lite but only slightly heavier...
Post edited at 10:38
 climbwhenready 22 Oct 2015

I have the Exped Downmat Lite 5 for wild camping, and it's super comfortable. It's not the lightest of their range, but at 640g, not really going to tip the scales in a sensible wild camp pack.
 galpinos 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

That's interesting, I've liked the look of the Sea to Summit mats but no-one in the UK seems to actually have one! My Thermarest Prolite used to be the cream of the crop (which itself was a warranty replacement for an old old thermarest) but it seems to be lacking i the comfort department and as I'm getting older, comfort is getting more important......

The Outdoor Labs review had them as less comfortable that the NeoAir but obviously, for you, this was not the case.

Did you try the comfort light as well?
 Welsh Kate 22 Oct 2015
In reply to galpinos:
No, I borrowed the Ultralight for the trip, haven't tried the Comfort Light. My NeoAir is the women's x-lite, and I do find that comfy, but found the Sea to Summit one more so - whilst the NeoAir has horizontal baffles which provide good lumbar support, the S2S one is in construction more like a pocketed sprung mattress, so I find it more responsive and supportive.

Cotswold are selling the Comfort Light Insulated, so you could pop in there and try one.
Post edited at 13:16
 galpinos 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks for the response. I shall investigate (whilst checking to see whether my wallet will cope.......).
 IPPurewater 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Cotswold - what a price !! £140.

Only about £103 here including delivery
http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/sea-to-summit-ultralight-insulated-mat-sleeping-p...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...