Head torch for running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Patriot 21 Oct 2015
Hi all can someone recommend me a nice lightweight head touch for running at night?
Cheers
Graeme G 21 Oct 2015
 steelbru 21 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

What terrain will you be running on ? Nice groomed easy ( but unlit ) pavement will require a lot less illumination than running on rough open hillside or in rooty forests

The alpkit gamma is a mid range torch in terms of ilumination, but like a lot of alpkit goods is exceedingly good value at under £20, and also has a red light on the back of your head ( can be flashing or solid ) which adds safety if any of your running is on roads.
 SouthernSteve 21 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

Its not very light, but running with the Petzl Tikka RXP is great even in really dark rocky woods. Its not discrete as its really bright! You can charge the batteries at home quite quickly so no more batteries to buy.
 The New NickB 21 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

Road or off road, to be seen or to see?
 StuDoig 22 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

for trail running I use a Tikka RXP - not the lightest torch, but great light, rechargeable via usb so I can recharge at work and the reactive lighting is good when running with others. Accidental blinding of my wife whilst out running has substantially reduced since I started using it.

My wife uses a BD revolt - again good light level, but lower profile than the Tikka RXP and rechargeable so saves on buying batteries etc as well.

Only downside to the Tikka is that the buttons are REALLY small, so not great with gloves on.

Cheers,

Stuart
 matt_chan 22 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

It might be worth considering a hand-held. I always struggled with depth-perception using a head-torch.

Fenix make excellent ones: https://fenixtorch.co.uk/
Can't remember which one I got but they get more powerful every year.

Of course a hand-held is not much use for climbing so you'd probably still want a head-torch.
 Roadrunner5 22 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

I use the Myo RXP

Nice enough, fairly light, does what its meant to do.
 tjin 22 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

I use a old Princeton tec Apex. It's big and heavy, but your head is pretty stable and doesn't really boucne around like the rest of your body. So i find it actually pretty comfortable.

So I would suggest any light, which give enough light and endurance. Weight isn't a huge deal in my experience.
 nniff 22 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

I'd go with a Silva Nynox (maybe Ninox). Beam is shaped for a spot and a sort of side beam so that you can see where your feet are landing. The red light is also very good for early starts without blinding the other occupants of the hut. Small enough to be a spare headtorch too. Fine for running but not a modern LED searchlight, and a sane price too - good bargains on amazon sometimes
 Simon Caldwell 23 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

http://fellrunningguide.co.uk/what-is-the-best-head-torch-for-running/

You could also try a forum search, as this has been discussed several times recently.
notaclue 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

LED lenser are brilliant

My first one had a fault after 2 year - they replaced brand new

Fully charged on low beam I have used it for two consecutive nights without any worry of the battery running out
 The Potato 23 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

Id recommend any of the Alpkit ones - inexpensive and lots of features to choose from, Im currently using the Alpkit Arc which is a bit heavier but has good lighting which I use for rough terrain at night.
Previously I have had -
Petzl Tikka - light cheap and solid, but not very bright, good for easy paths and lanes.
Alpkit Gamma - loads of features and very hand rear red light for on roads etc, not very robust though.
Alpkit manta - hated this as the battery was in the front and it bounced around a lot.
LED lenser - lightweight and bright, decent value but not very good beam spread, and few features
Petzl Myo 3 - this was a halogen bulb version a while back and although it had a lot of good features and was comfortable, I wouldnt go back to regular bulbs again, LED are much more versatile.
Handheld torch - I wouldnt bother with this for any serious running.
 tony 23 Oct 2015
In reply to notaclue:

> LED lenser are brilliant

> My first one had a fault after 2 year - they replaced brand new

I second that recommendation and the customer service - the brand new replacement I got (within 3 days and no quibbles) was an updated and improved version. Big thumbs up from me.
 echo34 23 Oct 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

I use the MYO RXP for night trail and mountain running. The diffuser gives a really good lighting area, and its comfortable to run with. The battery pack bounces a little, but not enough to be annoying or cause any problems. I tried a BD Storm last year, but the light output was no where near as good.
 The Potato 23 Oct 2015
In reply to tony:

which model of lenser?
 tony 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

I've got this one:
https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/headlamps/h7r2/

Rechargeable off a USB or a mains plug, also has a red rear light to help you be seen.
 Wry Spudding 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

I use the LED Lenser H7 (not the rechargeable model, although obviously I can use rechargeable AAA batteries in it, I tend not to use rechargeables though as they tend to dim rapidly as they run out). The beam brightness is adjustable and zoomable between wide and narrow spread. I've been happy enough that I've bought a few of them.
The H7 is apparently 200 lumens, but I don't always have it on full brightness
I've used the alpkit torches but not for long - I don't like the 'press and hold' to dim, but much prefer the LED Lenser - you can increase/decrease brightness back and for rather than having to go through a sequence of button clicks.

I would also avoid getting into the 'arms race' of lumens. Brighter isn't always better; if the torch is too bright, reflections become too fierce and it is hard to make out features in the periphery.
 Ridge 23 Oct 2015
In reply to tony:

> I've got this one:

> Rechargeable off a USB or a mains plug, also has a red rear light to help you be seen.

Had one of those for over a year, really good bit of kit. Looks a bit cheap and nasty, but does the job.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...