Job application help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 21 Oct 2015
I always get good advice from you guys on these things and so I thought I'd bother you again to try to help me put this letter together.

I applied for a position as a customer service agent. I got a response telling me that I was not available for the core hours they required, basically because I have to get my daughter to school in the morning and can only arrange after school care until 5pm.
I have managed to find a solution for extra care now and am responding to them to tell them I am now available as and when required. Not entirely true but on a temporary basis I can, then once I have my foot in the door I might be able to work things out better.
Here is where I need your help. I am trying to close the letter by telling them I am super enthusiastic and kind of desperate, without stating I am desperate, basically begging them to give me a go. I can not think of an alternative way of saying I'm desperate without saying so.
So can you think of how best to phrase this?

thanks in advance.
 stubbed 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Dominicandave:

'I am determined to make it work'?
 Dax H 22 Oct 2015

To be brutally honest you are probably wasting your time on this one. They have rejected you once and going by the vast numbers of application's I get everytime I look for a new person you will be up against hundreds of people and I doubt you will get a second chance.
0Unknown0 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Dax H:

this is becoming seriously depressing. Firstly finding a job, but not only that, finding one that allows me to make more money than not working, with the hours I'm restricted to. No overtime and no shift switching.
 Dax H 26 Oct 2015

I know you don't want to work for nothing but I had a friend in a similar situation. Single dad who wanted to get back to work for his own pride and wellbeing. The only problem due to his level of benefits including the free rent and council tax ect he ended up working a 38 hour week for a net increase of £10 per week. He did it though for a couple of years at that wage but then over the next few he got a couple of promotions and life was good again.
I was that impressed with his work ethic that I made him a junior partner in my business and with what he brought to the table I brought him up to an equal share holder with me and the other Director when we went Limited about 4 years later.
0Unknown0 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Dax H:

Sounds awesome but these things seldom come along. And I would be taking drop in income to work, no matter what, even if I work 38 hours a week I take a drop in income of £12.48 per week.
Makes life very difficult when out of this after and pre school child care would have come out at about £10 a day.
On top, this time of year my bills are about to double and so..............................................................

Phwoa, it difficult to get things straight in this country.
 PaulTanton 26 Oct 2015
I can see the situation your in mate. Good luck with it.
You shouldnt beg for a job, you still have your pride. State what your plan is and be honest.
Instead of emailing your application, go and see them, application in hand. People tend to hide behind the internet thing these days. Just think of the impact it would make if you turned up at the door and asked to speak to whoever is running the recruitment process. If the reception says they are busy say you can wait an hour for ten minutes of their time.
Thats not being desperate just keen. It will show that your prepared to put some effort in.

Again good luck.
 marsbar 27 Oct 2015

If that is the situation you are in, maybe you should make the mkst of it and be a full time dad. Do some volunteer work during the day, spend time with your kid, that is important too. The system is stupid, but it is what it is. Time to be a wage slave when she is older.
 Trangia 27 Oct 2015
In reply to PaulTanton:

I admire that advice and was thinking the same thing when I read your post.

There is nothing like turning up on their doorstep and showing a willingness to wait if the recruiter concerned is "busy". If that fails insist on making an appointment for the next day or the next. As you say it indicates that you are prepared to put in a real effort to be considered for the job. Treat the reception with friendly respect. You need to make a positive impression on her/him, what they think of you could well influence the recruiter into granting you an interview.
 PaulTanton 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:
Yep. I agree.
Another thing to do is to safeguard your own feelings. I lnow it's difficult but get as many job apps is as you can manage. Getting a rejection from the only job application you have on the go can be absolutly crushing. But when you've lost count on the number of apps you have, not getting one is no great shake. It's their loss.
Even if they're not advertizing. You'd be amazed how many companies will create a job when they spot a good candidate.
And again, the face to face method works best here.
Getting a job is a full time job, but worth it.
Very good luck
Post edited at 19:52
 Scarab9 28 Oct 2015

I wish I could offer more than my sympathy for your position but can't so please accept that.

It may be worth trying agencies, but I expect that makes any help you are getting rather hit and miss as fluctuations in income tend to bite you on the ass.

From your posts I know you want to try your best and will fight for what you want, and so I wish you look - you're exactly the type of person who deserves a chance and I hope you get it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...