Hut to Hut walk Alps. Which one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 19 Oct 2015
I am looking at doing a Hut to Hut walk with my Dad next year.
Jul-Sept time.

It will be his first time in the Alps and want to know where people think is best.
Ideally 7-10 days would be good but could to 2 weeks if needed.

I have so far looked at:
Jungfrau Region
Tour of Mont Blanc
Cham - Zermatt

Any advice or ideas?
Ben
 Brass Nipples 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Tour de Vanoise.

Train to Bourg st Maurice, bus to Val d'Isere. A 10 day circuit at a comfortable pave, not too far each day. Very quiet but lovely circuit.
 Bob Aitken 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Depends a bit on how fit your Dad is (and how rich). Swiss huts (like everything else in Switzerland now) are very expensive. Tour de Mont Blanc has fantastic high mountain scenery, but has some big up-and-down grunts and can get busy in July/August. I'd endorse Orgsm's suggestion of the Vanoise - beautiful country, fantastic flowers & wildlife, excellent friendly huts, bags of scope for permutation and variation of circuits and loops for up to two weeks, various easy non-technical 3000+m peaks you can do along the way. You can always cross into the Gran Paradiso National Park in Italy for a bit of variety. It's all in euros so good value at the moment. You can start from Pralognan (my favourite) or from Modane as well as from Val d'Isere. And if you enjoy that, then you could graduate to the Tour de Mont Blanc in 2017.
 Marcus Tierney 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Ben_Climber:
Our club do a hut to hut walk most Septembers. Most of the walks have been written up on the club website. They include walks all over the Alps . If you have a look at the ABMSAC website and look at the meet reports they go back a few years so might give you some ideas. If you take a fancy to any of the walks we keep details of all the walks, contact details for huts etc. We also do hotel based and mixed walks including the odd bit of luxury combined with nights in the huts, a lot of which are very good. My favourite areas are probably the Dolomites or the Karwendal regions for the quality of huts. Slovenia was good but food in the huts poor. If you have any questions about any of the walks email me.
 RyanOsborne 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Austria is excellent for this sort of thing. The Stubai Hohenweg or make one up in the Oetztal. The locals do lots of ski touring in the spring, so the huts are really well set up for hut to hut trips, and the price /quality of the huts is excellent.
OP Ben_Climber 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thank you for the suggestions folks.

Looks like the Tour de Vanoise is a good option, will do a bit more research into this!

Brass Nipples 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Thank you for the suggestions folks.

> Looks like the Tour de Vanoise is a good option, will do a bit more research into this!

Drop me a PM and I can dig out our schedule from when we did it.
 earlsdonwhu 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Ben_Climber:

The Jungfrau tour is spectacular. The huts were not busy when we did it in July. However, accommodation was predictably expensive!
 navigator 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Ben_Climber:
Yes the Vanoise is good, but the Stubai Hoehenweg is better and much more dramatic. Lots of aided sections with some aid missing where you might expect it.
 fimm 26 Oct 2015
In reply to navigator:

We did the Stubai Hoehenweg last summer and found it straight-forward (but we are 4 experienced Munro-baggers). Would recommend it. I think some sections of fixed gear have been renewed recently - I don't recall anything that I thought was at all dodgy or missing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...