Christmas family traditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 19 Oct 2015
Firstly apologies for a Christmas thread in Mid fall. Mrs GM is pressuring me to get excited.
We’ve just had a nipper wanted to start thinking for about Christmas family traditions, as a kid we use to draw pictures with parents on the run up to the big day and have new pjs and chocolate on the ‘eve.
What do/did other people do in the run up to christmas/Mid winters break?
abseil 19 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> ....What do/did other people do in the run up to christmas/Mid winters break?

Go poaching.
 The Lemming 19 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> Firstly apologies for a Christmas thread in Mid fall. Mrs GM is pressuring me to get excited.

Mid fall?

I thought that we were in Autumn?

In the run up to Christmas, with Father Christmas and not Santa, we would pester our parents with constant wanting, wishing and wining for this, that or the other.

On the Big Day, we'd go to the bottom of the bed to see what was put into our sock. This was usually a tangerine, some nuts and sweets. There would also be a stack of stuff brought by the Big Man.

In the afternoon, we'd be allowed to open the wrapped presents, given to us by our relatives.

Christmas Eve lasted for an eternity while Christmas Day flew by in seconds.

In reply to goldmember:

A family tradition is the reading of 'The night before Christmas' with our younger grandchildren - my daughters know it off by heart from years of hearing it first hand. A personal one is to revisit 'A child's Christmas in Wales' by Dylan Thomas.
 pebbles 19 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Decorating the christmas tree on xmas eve.. ..never before....and being allowed to stay up till way after midnight to finish it, then having a proper cheese and biscuit supper. Oooh, makes me all nostalgic just thinking about it. Lots of home made deccies, like bells made from cut up egg boxes dipped in glitter, and making crepe paper streamers twisted up with strips of foil trimmings brought by a friend who worked at the milk bottling place!
 Philip 20 Oct 2015
In reply to pebbles:

By now I've usually made the Christmas cake and planted hyacinths for gifts. I've bought the bowls but the bulbs haven't arrived and it's now too late to force them for Christmas.

I haven't made the cake yet, but as I've got 12 weeks garden leave before I move jobs I've got the time to make and decorate that at leisure.

I used to wonder why people started shopping so early but now I have a little boy, and life is hectic, I find it easier to plan in October, shop in November and actually enjoy December for the pre-Christmas events (train rides, wreath making, decorating the house).
 pebbles 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Philip:

have you put the sprouts on yet?
 nutme 20 Oct 2015

As a child I used to go to forest with my dad and brothers to chop a tree and then decorate it with the rest of family. In the morning whole family would go to ski. Later in the evening a family dinner.

Nowadays with my own family we go to climb in Spain.
Post edited at 09:22
 Philip 20 Oct 2015
In reply to pebbles:

> have you put the sprouts on yet?

We moved house last year, and this year is the first time I've planted any veg in my newly constructed veg garden. While clearing the remains of the beans, my wife uncovered a sprout plant, mostly eaten and about 6 inches tall. She wondered if it had any chance of growing and being ready for Christmas!

No sprouts this year. Not that it matters as we always have the 25th away with family.
 The Potato 20 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:
making decorations such as paper chains and things to put on the tree, wrapping presents for friends. Making test batches of mince pies just to be sure.

Having said that Im less in favour of christmas (xmas) and thinking of celebrating midwinter/winter solstice a few days later on the 25th so as to remove religious connotations.
Post edited at 10:43
 pebbles 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

dont really care about the religious connotations, I just think of it as a bit of fun! If I dont have a problem with the elves reindeer and santa I'm not going to get all sniffy about little baby jesus in his crib either - theyre all on a par. our staunchly atheist family happily had a little plastic crib in the tree along with several halloween witch decorations and a fairy on the top - the more tat the merrier . And it seems a bit miserable to insist on not celebrating at the same time as everyone else just to make a point about religion
 pebbles 20 Oct 2015
In reply to nutme:
> As a child I used to go to forest with my dad and brothers to chop a tree and then decorate it with the rest of family. In the morning whole family would go to ski.

sounds idyllic, where did you grow up? I'm betting it wasnt Chipping Norton ;-D
In reply to The Lemming:

> Mid fall?

> I thought that we were in Autumn?

> In the run up to Christmas, with Father Christmas and not Santa, we would pester our parents with constant wanting, wishing and wining for this, that or the other.

> On the Big Day, we'd go to the bottom of the bed to see what was put into our sock. This was usually a tangerine, some nuts and sweets. There would also be a stack of stuff brought by the Big Man.

> In the afternoon, we'd be allowed to open the wrapped presents, given to us by our relatives.

> Christmas Eve lasted for an eternity while Christmas Day flew by in seconds.

Sounds like my childhood and my own kids' experience, added to this that by 27th Dec we'd (they) are bored as hell with the pointless soon-to-be ebay fodder and get back to the busy task of watching Disney on the gogglebox. I love Xmas and the time of year (even as a staunch atheist) but I hate all the crap that goes with it.

The Potato 20 Oct 2015
In reply to pebbles:

exactly why I still celebrate, I love any excuse to get together eat and drink, im just not keen on lying to children, not that its likely to do any harm I suppose

my wife / parents in law always go to late mass and Ive been going recently with them, something about the candles, the songs and the walk back home with all the lights and decorations is special, even more so if theres snow too.
 nutme 20 Oct 2015
In reply to pebbles:

No, I've relocated to England just 5 year ago.
Spent my childhood in near Arkhangelsk.
 d_b 20 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

When I was much younger and less responsible I may have said something like this to a small child: "If you aren't good then I'll talk to Father Christmas, then Father Christmas won't come and he will send Father Death instead."

In my defense, he did stop annoying me once he had stopped screaming.
 mav 20 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

My family have always had a tradition of giving 'tree presents' on Boxing day. I've never heard of anyone else doing this, yet my mum insists it was popular when she grew up (in Yorkshire in the 50's). Anyone?

These have to be cheap (<£2 is the current upper threshold), be small enough to go on a tree, and CANNOT be edible (cos that's cheating). As a child loved it - we got daft imaginative presents, the dat after xmas. As an adult, I find it difficult to shop imaginatively for so many people (I'm the eldest of 5, add in 5 partners and what is currently 9 children). Thankfully these day we limit it, and use a secret santa style process to reduce the amount of buying that is needed.
 pebbles 20 Oct 2015
In reply to mav:

we had tree presents on xmas day afternoon AND on boxing day and the day after. just tiny little stocking fillers... the smallest ones were on the last day and could well be edible. they were huge fun and stretched the festivities out
 pebbles 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

yup, I'v got a non religious friend who still loves midnight carol services. its just the romance nostalgia and tradition, the religious aspect has bugger all to do with it for her
ceri 20 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember: Tree up once off school: tacky decorations (Mcdonalds 1984 bauble, things we made at play school) essential. Mince pies and milk for father christmas and carrots for the reindeer. "small" presents were from FC, the big ones from mum and dad. The turkey is always called Oscar.

Timmd 24 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:
My dad's always seemed to play the album Frost & Fire by The Watersons while decorating the tree, my mum's Christmas trifle has always been a tradition, and I got her to tell me the recipe before she passed away so it can be continued. There almost seems to be something alchemy in nature about trifles, in how the same ingredients and proportions can turn out differently two trifles running.

Recently found the recipes for the Christmas pudding and cake, so going to get started on those in the next few weeks.

Post edited at 15:29
 Gills 24 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Sometime in the run up to Christmas, we all get together at my parents place to put up the tree. What usually enfolds is my brothers putting on the lights, me and mum and little ones putting on the decorations which we have gathered over the years and the stories that go with them. Every time someone goes away for holidays or any reason we always buy a decoration for the tree. What results is a tree full of memories from across the world dad sits in the corner with a glass of whisky pretending to be grumpy but really he loves it and a CD of Christmas songs play in the background while we all have some home made baileys. Ahhh bliss! Can't wait for this year!
 Pbob 24 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

My in-laws family christmas involves a game called 'squeal piggy squeal' in which my father in-law sits on everyone's lap. Bad as it sounds.
 JIMBO 24 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

In the run up to Christmas we would write to St Nicholas on St Nicholas night with an apology for being bad, a promise to improve and a short wishlist. This letter was shoved in a shoe and put by the backdoor with a carrot, apple, mince pie and a drink. St Nicholas, his donkey and helper Peter would collect the letter and leave a reply. If you were good a few chocolates and you'd definitely get presents on the big day. If you were bad you'd get coal and no presents for Christmas. Our kids love this and keeps them on the straight and narrow in the weeks before.
A new thing we have introduced from friends is an elf on a shelf for advent. When the calendar comes out an elf is delivered to watch over the children and to report back to Father Christmas. The elf sometimes moves and eats midnight feasts but also disappears if he has to report in length to HQ. Can be great fun...
 Toerag 26 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Letter to Santa posted at the big red postbox at the shops (postboxes are blue here) when the xmas lights are turned on at the start of December.
Plate with glass of sherry, mince pie and carrot on the fireplace on xmas eve. The board blocking the chimney pushed back. Stocking (big welly sock) on the bottom of the bed.
Wake up, notice heavy weight on bottom of bed (like a cat). Stocking is full! Contents always include chocolate coins, 2 or 3 nuts, an orange, a toothbrush & flannel and various little presents. Bound into parents room once we've plucked up courage. Dad has dates in his stocking, Mum has Terry's chocolate orange. Allowed downstairs to look through the lounge door - Santa's present is there in all it's glory ready to go (biggest present, bike or suchlike) in front of each person's pile of presents. Have to wait for Mum and dad to get up and dressed before we're allowed in the lounge.
Finally go in and each open all our presents in turn. Then breakfast (maybe) and playing with presents, then xmas dinner (normally turkey etc., xmas pud for afters - 5 p hidden in each slice), then more playing and the afternoon film, then leftovers & xmas cake for tea. Boxing day - used to go out on the Common with the family and play with outdoor presents / wear xmas clothes presents such as hats. These days - Boxing day swim in the sea. This year will be interesting - My wife's German and we have a 13 month old daughter so there will be a mix of family & national traditions coming out .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...