Winter climbind the number of buckles on the harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 12 Oct 2015
It seems that for years the standard was to have non-fixed leg loops were the key to go. However, lately I noticed that fixed leg loops harnesses are the norm and manufacturers say that it suits for winter climbing.

I prefer fixed leg loops and I have got two different harnesses both featuring fixed leg loops. As winter is coming, I am not sure whether I need another harness or just keep it simple... As long as you don't need to remove or add another pair of trousers, there is no difference, right?
 HeMa 12 Oct 2015
In reply to PPP:

Pretty much...

If you're happy with the harness you have and got your climbing troos sorted out. Having adjustable leg-loops are not needed.

In fact, I prefer my winter harness to not have adjustable leg loops.

How ever, if you foresee the need to dress/undress the harness while wearing crampons or worse yet skis. Or change your legwear mid route... having adjustable (or rather those kinds that will completely come undone) is something to look for...
 LastBoyScout 12 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

> How ever, if you foresee the need to dress/undress the harness while wearing crampons or worse yet skis. Or change your legwear mid route... having adjustable (or rather those kinds that will completely come undone) is something to look for...

That ^

Another example of where the fast buckles are a step backward compared to basic back-thread buckles that can be completely undone.

Depending on the design of harness, 2 buckles on the waist belt can be advantageous for centralising the belay loop and back support over bulky clothes.
OP PPP 12 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks. I get the idea, but I am not sure whether I really need that or not. The only harness I could see to be useful in winter is the one which has "completely undoable" leg loops (where you would be hanging only on waist belt). Nearly every harness can do that, but not in winter with gloves on...

Even in Scotland the conditions are usually pretty predictable for the next N hours (and you get used to wear waterproofs all day). I can't remember the last time I had to put my overtrousers with a surprise! I suppose if you are on a vertical ice without any ledges and it *unexpectedly* starts raining and you want to put overtrousers on, then you are in trouble. You could potentially make an improvised chest harness out of slings, but let's leave these scenarios aside or I will rather stay at home!
 3leggeddog 12 Oct 2015
In reply to PPP:

Because you are a safety conscious climber who always plans ahead, you will never end up in the situation where standing on one leg putting on a harness may cause you to stumble off a ledge or down a slope.

The rest of us benefit from being able to undo leg loops and don harnesses with both feet firmly on the ground.
 DaveHK 12 Oct 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> The rest of us benefit from being able to undo leg loops and don harnesses with both feet firmly on the ground.

That's the main benefit for me. That and having a lighter harness for winter when you don't need the padding so much and most appreciate any weight savings from a heavy bag.
 HeMa 12 Oct 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Another example of where the fast buckles are a step backward compared to basic back-thread buckles that can be completely undone.

Actually about half the quick buckle ones can be completely undone.

But not all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...