Ice/winter ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nation1 10 Oct 2015
Looking to purchase new ropes for winter. Looking at beal gully or the ice line.......anyone use either ? Or anyone use different ropes. Feedback welcome
 HeMa 10 Oct 2015
In reply to nation1:

I've used the icelines quite a few times. And they are indeed stellar ropes for ice climbing. However, for mixed I might look into something thicker.
 gethin_allen 10 Oct 2015
In reply to nation1:

I dangled on the end of a Beal Ice Line and my initial thought was, "is this rope going to stop stretching or am I going to be lowered to the floor". Fortunately it did hold me, i was just 6 foot away from where I starten, and I suppose a stretchy light rope is what you want for ice climbing, just don't expect a confidence inspiring solid rope when you lean back on it.
 Ron Walker 10 Oct 2015
In reply to nation1:
For the past 12 years or more we've use icelines for both winter and summer mountain rock and they are great lightweight, compact and robust ropes. We'll again replace our ropes with icelines when needed!
Post edited at 20:20
 Martin Bennett 10 Oct 2015
In reply to nation1:

Some years ago I chose the Mammut Phoenix Dry over the Beal Iceline and have been delighted with it.

However it's on it's last legs now and to replace it I bought the Mammut Meteor because it looked right and I got a great price. I used it on a few icefall climbs last Winter and was very pleased with it.

Like the Mammut Obsession mentioned above it's also on a deal at Needlesport just now but better because (a) it's dry treated which the Obsession isn't (I have a 50m one for UK cragging) and (b) it's even cheaper!
 PaulW 11 Oct 2015
In reply to nation1:

these are lovely, though not cheap. Really supple, clip well, don't tangle.

http://www.urbanrock.com/salsa-82mm-60m-duratec-dry-pair-deal

In reply to PaulW:

> these are lovely, though not cheap. Really supple, clip well, don't tangle.

Pity they don't last though. A couple of friends have them and both ropes are looking pretty knackered after not very much climbing.

To the OP:

My Stirling Photons are just coming to the end of their life. I guess I've got 2 years of semi regular use out of them. I would describe them as unremarkable and won't being going out of my way to buy again.

I've always rated Mammut Phoenix as a good thin rope, but have not used the most recent incarnation.

Beal Icelines are very good. The current version with the Unicore treatment would probably be my choice.
 Jeff Ingman 11 Oct 2015
In reply to nation1:

I've used Beal Ice Lines for the past 10 yrs and have found them to be durable and light, I agree with the comments above. I bought the Beal Gully 18 months ago and have used it in Scotland in winter and in the Alps. The gully is noticably thinner (7.3mm) than the ice line but it's noticably lighter too. I changed my belay device for the gully because it's so thin, now use a reverso 4. I'm happy with the gully on snow and ice, but I'm a small bloke, and maybe would think differently if I was 6'2" and 14 stone! I use 8.5mm edelrid for mixed, especially harder routes were there could be some air time. Enjoy the winter.........Jeff
 Tobes 11 Oct 2015
In reply to nation1:

Sorry to hijack thread,

Anyone got experience of these?

http://www.v12outdoor.com/product.php/7108/edelrid-special-edition-irox-dry...

For all round use, trad, winter etc. for the price worth having for a season or two of heavy use?

Have found them elsewhere for £150 a pair inc shipping!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...