Stomach pain from running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cap'nChino 08 Oct 2015
Hi Guys.

Looking for a bit of advice.

I've recently started training for a marathon but I'm starting to get horrible pains in my stomach (actually in my stomach where the digesting goes on) it often feels like it's going up my throat. It hurts the most when I eat or drink (anything) afterwards for hours.

I'm pretty fit and haven't had this in the past, I play football around twice a week plus bits of cycling, running and gym here and there.. The increase in training hasn't been a shock to the system. In fact the first time I had it was literally the first run I went on after signing up for the marathon and that run wasn't anything special.

I've googled it and things like acid reflux come up. But I can't think what's causing it.

Ps. Diet is ok. Plenty of fruit and veg, fish twice a week, bit of meat and dairy. Not much on the potatoes, pasta, rice front.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Capn'
 Trangia 08 Oct 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

I'm not a medic, but it sounds like the symptoms of my peptic ulcer which I have had for decades. I get the symptoms if I forget to take my daily medication.

Go see your GP
 Yanis Nayu 08 Oct 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

I get acid reflux - had it since I was about 18. I take omeprazole on prescription now, which works brilliantly, as running, climbing overhangs, swimming etc was a PITA from heartburn. I had to go for a scope though, as I'm over 40.
 JayPee630 08 Oct 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

Sounds like acid reflux, like you say. It's mostly caused by physical issues, so you saying you can't think what's causing it sounds like you don't understand what it is.

Go see your doctor.
cap'nChino 08 Oct 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

Cheers all. Going to book go tomorrow.
 The New NickB 08 Oct 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

I thought acid reflux before I read it in your post. See a Doc!
 Yanis Nayu 08 Oct 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

Oh, as far as I understand it, most cases have no obvious cause.
 Roadrunner5 09 Oct 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

Sounds very much like acid reflux.

I have it very occasionally but almost always with an obvious cause. Running too soon after a big meal which is hard to digest. White meats etc go down easier, even maybe knock out dairy as we can be intolerant without really knowing it.

See a Dr but in the mean time play around with your diet, how long you wait before a run, maybe even eat more frequently but less when you do. Drop out the obvious food groups, dairy, red meats at lunch etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...