Everest books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 08 Oct 2015
Rather than just going to see the movie, I thought I'd read one or two of the many books on the 96 disaster beforehand. Just to give myself a little perspective.

I know a little of what happened in 96, I've seen the Discovery documentary and I've just finished reading John Krakauers Into Thin Air. So, which of the many other books on the 96 disaster would be the one to choose to give me a balance of what happened ??

Thanks.
 Pedro50 08 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

The Climb - Boukreev & De Walt - essential
Climbing High - Lene Gammelgaard - self serving piffle
Just for the love of it - Cathy O'Dowd - Rose tinted view of an appalling fiasco
Left for Dead - Beck Weathers - Just appalling but essential
A Day to Die For - Graham Ratcliffe - Conspiracy theory that Hall & Fischer knew that the weather forecast was deteriorating and persuaded other teams to delay while they made their own attempts
Ultimate High - Goran Kropp (banned in UK due to minor libel) interesting and balanced otherwise
OP arch 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Pedro50:
Thanks.
I've just downloaded The Death zone by Matt Dickenson. Not sure if the Boukreev one is available for Kindle, can't find it on Amazon, may have to buy a hard copy instead. Going to start the Dickinson one now. I did look at A Day To Die For, but went for the Dickinson one instead, I'll download it as well.

Cheers,

Typo!!
Post edited at 21:40
 Pedro50 08 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

No problem. If I recall Matt Dickenson did the North Ridge and they summitted the day the before storm (or earlier on the same day) with few problems and were not involved in the South Col disaster. Good book though for outsider (journalist)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...