Decent bike shop in sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 08 Oct 2015
Hi,

Just moved to sheffield and need a bit of work doing on MTB. Anyone got any recommendations for a decent LBS I can take it to?

Im in S7, the closer the better of course though I'll drive for a decent place if needed.

Thanks,
Si
 deepsoup 08 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:
Probably a drive for you, but I would definitely recommend Tony Butterworth's in Hillsborough.
(No relation to A E Butterworth on Abbeydale Rd.)

http://www.tonybutterworths.com/

It changed hands quite recently - Henry and Mike who run the place now do excellent work.

Edit to add:
If you do drive, parking is tricky. Slightly cheeky but probably easiest to use the carpark of the Asda just up the road. (Catchbar Lane, same postcode as the bike shop - S6 1TA)
Post edited at 14:36
 gethin_allen 08 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

JE James on Bramall lane has done alright for me in the past although I've not been there for 4 years since I left Sheffield.
 johang 08 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

If you're in S7 then you can't go wrong with A.E. Butterworth's on Abbeydale Road. Cracking bike shop. Not flashy, but the guys there obviously know their stuff and are incredibly helpful.
OP snoop6060 08 Oct 2015
In reply to johang:

Im not after flashy, just a reliable, local place to sort my brakes out (crap avid elixir 5s, should get rid of em really). And replace a screw on my dropper remote that has fallen off. And get a couple of new tyres.
 Chris the Tall 08 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

Highly recommend Bike Rehab at Devonshire Green (fairly close to city centre). Very friendly guys who specialize in repairs, rather than selling bikes
 johang 08 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:
Exactly the right shop then . Always seemed like a constant trickle of people going in and out with little niggles on their bikes (or prams for that matter).
Post edited at 15:05
 gethin_allen 08 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

> Im not after flashy, just a reliable, local place to sort my brakes out (crap avid elixir 5s, should get rid of em really)....

I have the same brakes, I'm almost constantly bleeding them. I was eyeing up a pair of Shimano SLX disks as they were on offer for £80 a pair.
Unfortunately I didn't have a job at the time and didn't feel I should be spending money on such things at that point.

OP snoop6060 08 Oct 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

This is the 3rd time in 12 months they have gone dead on me. They are absolute, utter garbage.

I would replace them with XT brakes but I have a SRAM shifter and those magic mix things are pricey. Gonna replace them when I snap my rear mech again, which is likely to be soon knowing me. Will do the rear mech, shifter and brakes together.
 gethin_allen 08 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

> This is the 3rd time in 12 months they have gone dead on me. They are absolute, utter garbage.

Perhaps you should get a bleed kit and do it y0urself to save cash, the "Epic bleed solutions" kit I got has worked pretty well.

I Don't really understand your issue Re. SRAM shifters/shimano brakes. Surely you can run shimano brakes with SRAM shifters. Or are you looking to buy those stupid combined levers/shifters?

ro8x 09 Oct 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

Just ditch the Avids. The worst brakes ever put to market I think.

Also, not local but an absolute gent and top notch mechanic (Wharncliffe Cycle Tech - 07583235523). Extremely good work and doesn't charge the earth.
 Ed Throp 12 Nov 2015
In reply to ro8x:

Not used them myself but some of the guys I ride with recommend bikerehab for repair etc. The obvious shop in sheffield area is JEJames but I have had variable experiences when it comes to repairs especially if things are more than a few years old.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...