Winter Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 07 Oct 2015
I am looking for a new pair of winter gloves for UK use, and maybe occasionally used in the Alps (another glove thread 😛 )

I am looking at the ME Assault, or the BD Punisher. I have tried both on and they both fit well, I get more dexterity in the Assault, but the Punisher feels good, and I prefer the low profile cuff. I have read the UKC glove article however I have a few questions about the gloves. I noticed that the liners seemed to move around a lot on both pairs, when wet do they tend to stay in place or get bunched up? And which is easier to get on when wet? Of the two pairs which is more durable? I can't seem to find many reviews of the Assualt gloves other than the glove article, do they last well?

I will be using them with a pair of Super Alpines gloves, which I have used a lot in the Alps and Scottish winter and have found to be very good, although not the warmest, and a pair of BD Glissades as a warmer pair. My main use will probably be general use scrambling/mountaineering in Wales and Scotland , nothing too hard, and possibly some winter ice climbing in the southern Alps in New Zealand. Are there any recommendations based on my planned uses?

Thanks!

BnB 08 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:
I tried both Punisher and Assault (and several others) before opting for the Punishers. The fit was much better on me and the knuckle padding is a real plus. Like you I'm accustomed to using Super Alpines for dry conditions requiring extra dexterity with a mitt for belays, but last (rather wet) winter it was the Punishers time after time from gear up spot to retreat and the Super Alpines (or just a lightweight power stretch glove) for the walk-in/out.

This thread (which winter glove) comes up time and again and the Punisher always scores highly for Scottish winter.

For scrambling however you just can't beat the Super Alpines. Neither the Punishers nor the Assault offers anything like the same grip or feels so dexterous. But once you start plunging your hands in damp snow it's time to switch.
Post edited at 07:39
 Baron Weasel 08 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

Venitex leather ski gloves or Hestra Falte Guide if you can afford!
 iksander 08 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

If ME gloves fit you well and you want a low profile cuff, try their Mountain Stretch gloves. If you fancy something a bit more techno, OR Warrants are awesome
OP echo34 08 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:

Thanks for the information, I am leaning towards the Punishers. Are they any good for skiing? Have you had any problems putting them on when wet?
OP echo34 08 Oct 2015
In reply to iksander:

How warm are the Warrants? I like the look of them, they look more similar to the Super Alpine rather than the Punishers, is this a reasonable comparisson?

I had not seen the Mountain Stretch, I will look into them.
 Zgemba 08 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

I am on my third pair of Punishers now. Pre-curved fingers make them excellent for alpine skiing as well. I find them too warm for skinning uphill or touring in general.
The only complaint I have is that the liner is not attached at the finger tips and will bunch up when removing. Putting them on again when wet ranges from mildly annoying to almost impossible.
Also, the shape/fit has changed slightly over the years. I personally prefer the fit my older (neon green) pair, but there is really not that much difference.

Hope this helps.
 nniff 08 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

I always find that a pair of very thin inner gloves makes a huge difference to both warmth and ease of putting on when your hands are wet - noting that Punishers are remarkably dry gloves. Very happy Punisher user, but I've just acquired an Outdoor Research goretex equivalent which seem very good.
 Neil Pratt 08 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

I have a pair of ME Assault gloves which I love for general mountaineering. It is fair to say that they can be a bit if a ball-ache to get on when your hands are damp.
 nufkin 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Zgemba:

> The only complaint I have is that the liner is not attached at the finger tips and will bunch up when removing. Putting them on again when wet ranges from mildly annoying to almost impossible

Odd - they're attached on mine. They're not the newest version, though, so maybe they're a bit different now
 jonnie3430 09 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

If anyones interested in cheap options, Skytech argon thermal gloves are very dexterous and grippy, I use them for climbing. They are completely waterproof so suffer from sweat if you are active. A £6 a pop you can afford to carry two pairs for the day.

Dickies lined leather work gloves are brilliantly grippy and comfy for walking and scrambling, but the short cuff means cold wrists when hands are working in snow i.e. climbing. I use them for the walk in to prevent the skytechs getting wet from sweat, and when out in the alps in summer and when ski touring where there is less chance of getting snow in the cuff. I always nikwax them too. They are a bit more expensive at £15 a pop.

Venitex leather ski gloves are thicker than the dickies, so less dexterous, but are warmer and have a long cuff, so are what I use in colder weather and piste skiing (also nikwaxed.) They are about £15 a pair.

I had a pair of punishers, but the soft leather in the finger tips wore out really quickly, so switched to cheaper alternatives. I've worn out a few pairs of dickies, am starting to go through a pair of skytechs, but after about 4 years and am nowhere near wearing out the venitex ones.
 LucaC 09 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

As my friends will testify, I have a proper give fetish going on! I've only ever been disappointed with ME gloves and definitely wouldn't recommend them. BD, OR or Arcteryx knock the socks off the ME ones and aren't that much more expensive. I've never understood people going for cheap and useless work gloves - If your hands aren't comfortable and capable of dexterity you might as well stay at home.
 neuromancer 09 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

I was incredibly impressed by the mh gloves I've had - the older red hydra pro's were absurdly dexterous.

However some looney sold me a pair of alpha sv's new for 35 quid so I can't really add much except say I'm not sure they're worth 250 quid or however much a new pair is now. The inner liner is just a bit shite - better would be a dexterous wind proof primaloft backed liner to fit inside?
 wbo 09 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34: I have a bunch of gloves as well. I really like punishers except that to get more dexterity I fit mine tight, and getting them on wet can be a real test. You can use them for pretty much everything - skiing, cycling ,..

For cross country skiing , or when I think I'll be taking my gloves on and off a lot I find gauntlets a lot easier and rather like the ME Randonee gauntlet.

OP echo34 15 Oct 2015
Thanks for all the recommendations! I decided against the Punisher after managing to get the liner tangled just taking them on/off with dry hands. I had an issue with an old pair of ski gloves a few years ago doing the same and it was not a fun experience.

I ordered a pair of OR Warrants to try and I quite like them, although they don't feel as tight/close fitting as some of the others, this might be due to the primaloft insulation rather than fleece liner though. Are they meant to fit tight? They seem warm, how do they fare in the field? does the non insulated palm cause any issues?

I'm also now considering the Randonee, these seem to get mixed reviews, but they look quite good. I don't mind it not being waterproof as long as its warm when wet. I haven't managed to try them on yet, but are they similar to the BD Impulse?

alasdair19 15 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:
I've been impressed by primaloft gloves in the past and also by OR gloves.

have u tried lined leather work gloves?
 galpinos 15 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

I have three pairs of winter gloves:

ME Randonee - Fantastic, dexterous enough (for me) when leading, warm enough, warm when wet, I love them. Disadvantages, a bit of bugger to get on when wet and I have the standard so the cuff is short but I believe there is a gauntlet version now. Size them right as the pile will pack down a bit.

Chamonix Bin Men Gloves - My default non technical winter glove. Cheap, durable and when well worn give the impression you know what you're doing (even if, like me, you don't!)

BD Mercury Mitts - the s**ts hit the fan glove.

I only lead V in winter though so if you climb hard, you might have different needs.
OP echo34 25 Oct 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks for all the advice and opinions! In the end I went with the ME Randonee, they are a good fit, warm and offer good dexterity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...