DMM Chimera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 07 Oct 2015
When is the DMM Chimera supposed to be coming out? I thought Spring this year but looks like DMM are struggling to keep the weight down.

It was first advertised at 28g then at 29g and 30g. They cannot seem to make a small carabiner better than the phantom (which is no slight on DMM). They've tried with the Alpha light which didn't work and now doesn't look like the chimera will supercede it either. Best small carabiner currently?
 nufkin 07 Oct 2015
In reply to FreshSlate:

> They've tried with the Alpha light which didn't work

As a karabiner, or as a replacement for the Phantom?
 neuromancer 07 Oct 2015
In reply to FreshSlate:

I still can't find enough to justify anything as better than WC Heliums (they're even made by DMM!)
In reply to FreshSlate:
> Best small carabiner currently?
A very good question.

I currently use WC Helium draws with mainly Spectre 2 and some Phantom krabs for racking so whilst I'm not yet completely sold on using'small' carabiners throughout, I do really like the 'notchless' Heliums. However, I do prefer the Phantom to the various other small designs I have used over the years.

I was rather looking forward to the Chimera, although given the delay I have to admit I am now very tempted to pick up a few Ocun Kestrels and see how they perform.
 PPP 07 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I use both Ocun Kestrels and Hawks. The former is as big as DMM Phantom and Hawk is nearly the same size as Edelrid 19G. Given the price, I am more than happy with them.

I mostly use DMM Phantoms and Spectres. I really like Edelrid Pure Wire carabiners, but they are a lot bigger.
 Mowglee 07 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Do the newer WC wiregates still suffer from the awful sticky gates that the old ones did, or have they sorted it? It put me off Wild Country gear for good when the gates kept sticking open.

Phantoms for me, pretty much as light as it gets, large enough to handle ok, and made in Wales. They're also pretty cheap these days.
 John Kelly 07 Oct 2015
In reply to FreshSlate:
Phantom king of biners, perfect balance of weight and size, superb
Post edited at 23:10
OP FreshSlate 07 Oct 2015
In reply to nufkin:

I mean to really challenge the phantom. The alpha light ended up a fair bit heavier than expected and really you're better off buying the alpha trad which is larger and only 2 grams heavier.
OP FreshSlate 07 Oct 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

> I still can't find enough to justify anything as better than WC Heliums (they're even made by DMM!)

I have some and they are indeed awesome. I would put the phantoms is a slightly different smaller/lighter category but perhaps the helium is the best all round biner.
 neuromancer 08 Oct 2015
In reply to FreshSlate:
Whats the point of going smaller if you a) lose hooded nose and b) can't use them with gloves so they're useless for the only place you really want to shed weight!

(That was my justification anyway)

Plus phantoms are what, 30g? Over a rack of 20 biners that makes heliums 60g more overall.
Post edited at 11:20
OP FreshSlate 09 Oct 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

> Whats the point of going smaller if you a) lose hooded nose and b) can't use them with gloves so they're useless for the only place you really want to shed weight!

> (That was my justification anyway)

> Plus phantoms are what, 30g? Over a rack of 20 biners that makes heliums 60g more overall.

Actually they're 28 grams. Over 10 quick draws that would be 100 grams.

The justification can be flipped, if you don't need to use gloves why would you buy a heavier/more expensive biner? The hooded nose can hinder as much as help when clipping small eyelets on old pegs etc. Swings and round-abouts. Still interested to see something smaller/lighter than a helium with a snag free gate but that seems really hard.
 neuromancer 09 Oct 2015
In reply to FreshSlate:
I suppose because weight becomes secondary to ease of use? I mean it's all just post-purchase justification anyway.

Bd oz?
Post edited at 22:42
OP FreshSlate 09 Oct 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

> I suppose because weight becomes secondary to ease of use? I mean it's all just post-purchase justification anyway.

> Bd oz?

Surely ease of use is subjective - I do own both carabiners so there's no reason for myself justify one over the other really. Do you use dmm dragons? Or camalots because they are easier to use?

I just see them both as valid choices that's all. For clipping a nut I actually see no difference in usability, perhaps you do. I don't use the phantoms for sport, but opt for beefier biners for various reasons. BD oz. good point. I don't really like neutrinos, don't know how similar the oz. is.
 neuromancer 09 Oct 2015
In reply to FreshSlate:

They're easier to use because I have fat fingers and so try and avoid fiddling. I wouldn't use them for tacking though because the nose on some biners occasionally saves precious wires from taking a long drop when I mong it.

I actually do have c4's (because I bought them in the us for 25 quid a cam new) but I would have bought them over dragons because thumb loops, again, suit my fat handed tw*t-ness.

I must say I haven't clipped many pegs recently so that may be a factor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...