Which Headtorch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 03 Oct 2015
My old headtorch has finally given up the ghost as the waterproof rubber cover to the switch has perished.

I am overwhelmed at the huge variety of choice now out there.

My main requirements are for a torch which is ideal for Alpine starts, or descending in the dark if benighted on a Scottish hillside, good for walking from the campsite to the pub and for general use around camp - cooking, putting up tent etc. Long battery and bulb life.

Prices seem to vary from about £15 to £300! So what do you get for your money?

What do others have and recommend?

The Potato 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:
I quite like my alpkit arc

andyd1970 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I have got a Petzl but it's only around 60 lumes and have been looking for something brighter
The Black Diamond Storm looks like a good torch
 olddirtydoggy 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

petzl tikka xp. The beam is reasonable, linear enough for pointing the light and spread enough for illuminating the path. Quite robust, I'm only on my second one in about 15 years. Fairly lightweight and also not stupidly expensive.
 girlymonkey 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I have an LED Lenser, and it is super bright and quite light. I am a fan
 Martin Bennett 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

As reported above Petzl Tikka XP is good and good value. I recently got a Black Diamond Spot and I think it's better and in the same price bracket. I've also got an older model Alpkit and for the money it's brilliant (which is rather an apposite adjective I feel!)
 PPP 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Don't forget to look at the mechanism on how to open the batteries. Sounds like not a big deal, but I always invert one AAA battery (or use some tape to cover one side if that makes any sense) if I put it in the rucksack. Black Diamond Storm is a great torch, but it's difficult to close the battery case in dark (even though I have it for long time now). I liked Petzl a lot more, but I got the Storm for 10 or 15 quid at TK Maxx, so I can't complain too much. I use it for cycling as well and it's great. I don't think I need reactive lighting or any other fancy stuff for more money (it's worth to add that I am gear addict).

Also, I would suggest to invest on Petzl e+Lite. According to Google, three AAA batteries weigh 22.8-45g while whole Petzl E+Lite torch weighs 27g. Instead of carrying extra batteries, I carry e+Lite. That also gives some redundancy in case I drop/break my main torch. E+Lite is actually strong enough for summer/ultralight adventures (at least for me).
 Dave the Rave 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:
Petzyl myo is a good unit. Use it on my helmet for biking too.
https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=Cli2GPhsQVo6EO-Gh7Qbd64OwB6PEhv4Gy5C_...
Post edited at 19:16
 LucaC 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
The 2nd generation Nao is an amazing bit of kit. So much so I'm going to buy a second one as a spare.
In reply to LJC:

Yeah 2nd Gen Nao Superb however Im not sure I'd want to rely on it for long mountain days Unless you've got a spare battery! Im happy using mine for 3/4 hour runs and Mtn biking. The latest Petzl Myo is Dynamite 370 Lumen model ,also have the new tikka rxp good lamp however it's fiddly and you need to remember how to cycle thru the different reactive and constant light modes.

Led lenser seo 5/7 are superb very bright easy to use great manual
Focus beam

OP Trangia 04 Oct 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone. The Pettzl Tikka seems to be popular and i already had it on my possibility list.

One further question. Is there any advantage in having the battery pack at the back of the head strap rather than incorporated into the torch?

LucaC 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Less weight at the front, feels more balanced, and if it's cold most battery at the back torches can be extended for use with a belt pack to keep the battery warm and extend life.

I've never had a problem with nao battery length unless forcing it into manual high beam mode, but I do always carry a spare battery.
 Dell 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I have the Alpkit Viper, compact, good range of light settings, and batteries last for ages. Under £20.
 Garbhanach 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia: Last head torch I bought was an Alpkit Mantra now discontinued which had the batteries at the front it was quite heavy and bounced about a lot if you tried to run with it on, though I also have a Pezel Tikka as a back up light which has the batteries at the front but is a lot lighter and more comfortable to wear.

I have a led lenserH3 as my main light just now and eyeing up the 7.2 which also has the batteries at the back which I like, it uses AAA batteries same as the Tikka which means I can swap the batteries if needed a bit heavier than carrying a Petzel e-lite backup but a more versatile option for me, I prefer rechargable AAA batteries to the Petzel built in type which is considered a greener option I think.
IPX protection rating might be something to consider if your only going to carry one light in wet conditions most of the Tikkas are about IPX4 I think.

Michael MacArthur 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

iv got black diamond storm and think its great
 _sllab_ 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

any cheap Petzl is good
 kolkrabe 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I second and third the shouts for the Black Diamond Storm - nice strong beam and the diffused light is superb for walking at night.
 JEF 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I have the Black Diamond spot, maximum 130 lumins. It has a "proximity" setting at a lower level and the main beam, both can be adjusted.
It also has red light so you can map read without losing your night vision.
It's a pretty good headlamp.

On the downside; it's a bugger to open to change the batteries and is easy to switch on by accident in your pack or pocket.
 Ridge 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Garbhanach:

The led lenser 7.2r is a cracking bit of kit. Looks cheap but very good optics.
Pan Ron 26 Oct 2015
In reply to MaxJEF:

Agreed, a major downside to the Black Diamond Spot is the "lock" system on it - it simply doesn't work.

I had read this on a number of reviews and thought better, but have found out the hard way - I repeatedly find the Spot has turned itself on while in my pack. Unsurprising given the lock operates by holding down the big on button for 5 seconds.

Outdoorgearlabs reviewed it as being one of the best head torches available so was surprised they missed this. I've taken to removing a battery from mine between use as I just can't rely on them not being flat when I go to use it. This is pretty inexcusable from a piece of kit that is more "critical" than "comfort" and has made me a little sceptical of OGL reviews.
 galpinos 26 Oct 2015
In reply to David Martin:

I've never had this happen with my spot (2 years old?). It goes everywhere with me, was my only torch running the marmot dark mountains, plenty of general van/camping use and has been a sterling performer.
m0unt41n 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Note to Head torch manufacturers:

Head torches are used in the dark.
Usually when it is dark it is cold
When it is cold you usually wear gloves.
When you wear gloves you cannot operate the stupidly tiny buttons that the morons who design head torches specify.
When you do switch it on you generally just want Dim and Bright.
Ten variations of intensity combined with adjustable spread levels and various colours just prove that the designer has never been let out at night alone by their mother.
Keep It Simple Stupid

Note to Magazine Testers:

Try it out in the real world at night in the rain and cold, comparing specs sat in the office isn't testing.
 StuDoig 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Black Diamond Icon is excellent torch, though the lighting claims are fairly overstated IMO. (they use an American lighting standard that allows the clock to keep running until it's at 10% of it's peak brightness).

I've a Petzl Tikka RXP and really rate it as a running / everyday torch but it hasn't made it into my climbing kit bag as I like to stick to AA/AAA batteries as I can double up spares with other kit and replace really easily if I leave it on etc.

LED Lenser torches are good, I've been testing the 14.2 model for our MRT and the quality of both the light and the unit are very high. 14.2 model is probably too big / heavy for normal use though, but the 7.2 would be a good bet I'd say. Almost always a good deal to be had on their website.

Fenix torch I trialled was disappointing - poor optics, poor build quality.

Myo RXP is probably one of the best alrounders - and petzl are the most honest / accurate I've found with their lighting claims.

Cheers,

Stu

mattlee 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:
Hi. I use a Petzl Tikka XP. I think it cost me £30 and has Diffuser, 2 stage Beam & Red options. Simple to use (Apart from the stupid on/off button as mentioned elsewhere) and has been used in the Alps and many times in the uk. Cracking value and runs on AAA's so clockwork reliable as well. The top end Petzl torches are very clever but they charge via a USB and as StuDoig said - what happens if it gets left on by accident and goes flat ?.
Post edited at 15:50
Ysgo 26 Oct 2015
In reply to pacman:

Very odd. I like the article on manufacturers claims, but wish they had mentioned something about Petzl regulating the power output so the light intensity doesn't just fade by a half after an hour. Don't know if anyone else does this.

Also, I disagree with a lot of the opinions in that comparison review, and the write up was weird. On the Nao they state the light is gone after two hours, but the graph show it lasting for 5! Bizarre. They also have a bugbear about Reactive lighting (Nao and Tikka RXP). Personally I really like it. I've got an old MYO XP and I was forever changing the settings for looking at a map, walking or running. Not since getting a Tikka RXP. Super bright, much lighter and more comfortable, and never blind anyone, myself included. It takes a little getting used to, but that shouldn't be a reason to score it down. Also it's rechargable so never buy batteries again. Just plug it in when I get back to my car after my run/walk. That way I always get the maximum possible light output.

So I recommend the Tikka RXP. It's great.
 barbeg 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Hi Trangia,

I use a BD Polar because of the battery pack...you can either have it on the head strap, (at the back), or, because the connection cable has been made specifically long by BD, the battery pack can be kept inside a jacket in a insulated neoprene compartment supplied with the head torch by BD. In winter this makes a big difference to the battery life, as I am sure you know....
Great piece of kit....
ANdy
 mbh 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Mainly, I use head torches for running, both on and off road.

On roads and the SW Coast Path* I find that the simplest Petzls are adequate for running. Given that you can see where you are going, the design features I look for, in order of importance, are:
1. Can I turn it on/off with frozen/glove covered/ frozen, glove covered fingers? This means, does it have a big, squashy on/off button (GOOD) or a tiny, hard and hard to slide button (BAD). Easy to see whether this is the case.
2. Will it stay in place on my bonce? Not so easy to figure out in the shop, but a pain when it doesn't work out.
3. Does it have a rechargeable battery? I bought a Lenser H something or other that did, and have been caught out more than once by it not being charged. The tunnel on the VF Trincee was one of those occasions. I'd rather have a normal battery.

*mostly. When the "path" is just rubble among acres of more more mining rubble, I have gone astray, as I also have if it enters a vast field where the exit is way yonder, deep in the glooming, but who knows which way. That doesn't happen often, however.
 climbwhenready 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Another vote for the Petzl Tikka XP. Pretty bright, with 2 brightness options and +/- diffuser, you can get your required brightness pretty easily, not too expensive, runs on AAA batteries.
 Ciderslider 26 Oct 2015
In reply to LJC:
What are you like Luca, nearly as bad as me

Tis a bloody good headtorch - although probably overkill for walking back the mile or so from the square and compass to Toms field
Post edited at 19:02
OP Trangia 27 Oct 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I decided to go for a Petzl Tikka. £30 in Millet's
 Brian Pollock 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Would you consider a BD Icon for £40 as I'm selling one? I used to use a Tikka but wouldn't use it for much more than camping now. The BD Icon is more suitable for route finding in bad weather.
 Pkrynicki1984 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

My BD storm is bloody brilliant.
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

Mine too, cannot recommend the Storm enough.
 nutme 28 Oct 2015
Using Zebralight for last 4 years. I have a previous generation of this one:
http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-Mk-II-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_...

Was recommended by digger friend as very reliable and light. Truly it is just like that.

Modern LED with output of up to 1020 Lm. To be honest with max output battery lives only 90min. But running it at 150 Lm I can get 8 - 12 hours of life depending on temperature. That's more that enough for climbing or walking on glacier. But at same time it's convenient to have a sun in a pocket to check something out and use for cycling or skiing.

It uses 18650 battery. It's same as laptop ones and have much better capacity (3.4V 3400mAh) compared to AA (1.2V 2400mAh). They come with Li-ion and Li-Fe chemistry. Later ones are very good for cold conditions as they loose only 30% at -20C and can operate down to -40C. On other hand it's unlikely to find 18650 batteries in Chamonix supermarket. Normally I take several of them to use for flashlight and powerbank. Oh yeah, same batteries is widely used in modern powerbanks

Another nice feature of Zebra is that it's very solid and simple. One button, one cap, nothing to remove and loose.
 Tigger 29 Oct 2015
In reply to nutme:
^ ^ +1
Got the same one! Brilliant bit of kit but it will mean investing in a good 18650 charger and a few batteries. Nice and bright, sos mode and really solid build quality.
 jonnie3430 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia

I have a myo and an alpkit that is no longer made, the alpkit does the tent stuff and the myo gets me off the hill, I also have a zipka and old tikka. My gf just boughta new headtorch, because I liked the tikka, I recommended it to her, it was a new model that seems really cheaply made and has an exposed battery compartment, she returned it to the company and bought a bd Storm which seems great. Until petzl start making headtorches like they used to, avoid them.
 Taurig 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Take a look at Silva. Don't get a lot of press but they have some interesting models. I've got the original style Ninox. I particularly like it cos I can rotate the lamp so the on button faces the back plate, and stored like that it would be really difficult to turn on accidentally. Otherwise just a solid hillwalking headtorch.
 neuromancer 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I just bought an h7r.2, and its bloody heavy and bulky. I wouldn't want to be running or moving fast with it.

Also I never understood manufacturers who use like 4 X Aaa when they could just use aa's or lithium aa's.

However don't forget a pretzel e lite for a backup. Weighs less than some spare batteries!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...