Alltbeithe bothy yha West Affric - open?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Edwards 01 Oct 2015
Hi
I know that the west Affric youth hostel has closed for the season yesterday, but I am thinking that the bunk room / bothy at the back is left open. I've passed that way in the winter a few times over the years and it has been but I've not been there for the last 7 seasons so I'm out of date.
Is it still left open?
I'm going that way this weekend with two small children.
Many thanks,
James
In reply to James Edwards:

2 years ago it was and I see no reason why it would have changed.
 Steve Perry 02 Oct 2015

It would be more comfortable at Camban bothy and not much further.
drmarten 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Full moon addict:

I've not been in that way during winter but can you clarify what exactly remains open? Last time I stayed there I stayed in the bunk room behind the main building. Is this the bit that stays open? I've envisaged a smaller shed like room being left open for the winter but can't recall actually seeing anything else which is why I'm wondering.
In reply to drmarten:

yes, from memory, its the bunk room at the rear of the building.
drmarten 02 Oct 2015

Thanks for that, good to know.
OP James Edwards 02 Oct 2015

Thank you. I'll let you know how it was when we get back next week.

James
OP James Edwards 04 Oct 2015

We didn't go for an over night - I saw that there was a dead calm wind Saturday evening to sunday morning so didn't fancy the midges. However we biked in for a look today and the room is open at the dorm at the back. There are bunks for 8 (no mattresses).
When we got back to the car as soon as we stopped we were savaged in the still evening air and I volunteered to put the bikes on the back whilst the rest of the family hid in the car. In the 5 minutes it took I think that they got me for half a pint of blood.
Otherwise, a lovely day .
James
drmarten 05 Oct 2015

Was that this weekend gone? That's got to be the last of the wee buggers surely.
OP James Edwards 05 Oct 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Yes, it was yesterday. They were quite bad indeed. I can't see them disapeering in time for mext weekend sadly.
Praise the SMIDGE!
James

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...