Ice climbing in Eidfjord

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sanguine 28 Sep 2015
Hello UKC Forum,

I am updating a question raised in earlier posts regarding Eidfjord, Norway. There doesn't seem to be much info out there, except for an ill-attended facebook page and a link from the hardangerfjord tourist page which is broken. I was wondering whether anyone on this forum has been there and if there has been any advice about locations, grades etc.? I would like to break out from Rjukan, but only if the trip is manageable/worthwhile. It certainly seems so from all the 'hype' - i.e. "best kept secret" and the recent Mammut photos.

/Sanguine
 planetmarshall 28 Sep 2015
In reply to sanguine:

If the destination is a "best kept secret", then I guess it's not surprising that online information about the area is scant.

I know Martin Moran has done a fair bit of exploration in the neighbouring Aurland, it might be worth dropping him an email.
 Nick Harvey 28 Sep 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Aye, he has a pdf guide though mostly for areas slightly to the north. my view from one trip was staggeringly vast potential, but not as reliable as you might expect - though if little snow it is possible to drive high/far to find ice.
 john arran 28 Sep 2015
In reply to sanguine:

And here was me thinking Iced Eidfjord was in Wales
 wbo 28 Sep 2015
In reply to sanguine: I haven't been there in the winter but I'm sure there's a good lot to do.

But you could say that of anywhere along that bit of coast. Have you considered the hills above Rosendal.. I was hiking there this weekend and there is a lot to do there - ridges, gullies and mixed

OP sanguine 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:

I shall have to find this pdf guide - any thoughts on sourcing?
 wbo 29 Sep 2015
In reply to sanguine:
I would start by contacting Martin Moran / google the name

I see a busy winter ahead , as long as it gets cold
 Mr. Lee 30 Sep 2015
In reply to sanguine:

Most of the stuff that I have read on Eidfjord has been in the Tindeklubb journals and they have all been hard routes from memory. Maybe the easier stuff got climbed prior to this and was less reported. I get the impression that it is a hard climbing destination though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...