Head torch reccommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 28 Sep 2015
There are other posts on this but as it's electronics things seem to move on so fast that advice is often out of date.

Want to buy partner a decent head torch - mainly for running, but will also be used for general outdoors use - cycling, walking, climbing.

She's has long hair so often puts hair in ponytail or plaits - so I'm initially reticent to buy one with a battery pack at the rear; can any girls / blokes with long hair advise on this? Can you just stick it to one side?

Looked at:

Led Lenser SEO7r & H7R.2
Tikka RXP
BD ReVolt
BD Sprinter (like the idea of a rear red light and it looks good)

Want something a bit nicer feeling and durable than an alpkit as it's a present (though I use one myself). Rechargable without a battery charger is ideal (so she can charge it at work or from a USB port).

Anything else?
 jimjimjim 28 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Well I can only comment on the tikka. I've two of these in over 15 year and they both still work great. Absolutely bomb proof. I once dropped mine about 30 m down a shaft in a cave and it landed in a fast flowing stream. Luckily it got pinned against a rock underwater. When we came back four or so hours later it was still on. I retrieved it and chucked it in the wet sack that I didn't sort for a month or so. After a quick clean and dry out it works fine to this day. Worth every penny.
 d_b 28 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I have been using a BD Storm for the last few months. The one button interface is a bit annoying but as a torch it is pretty good.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I don't have long hair, but despite having tried several more recent alternatives, my favourite for running is the lenser H7R. It's not too heavy, and the zoom is superb.
 Pkrynicki1984 28 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I love my BD storm too , great headtorch.
 deepsoup 28 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I have an SEO7r and it's lovely, possibly a bit overkill for running. (Though I tend to use a hand torch as well. I can't have a head torch too bright when it's cold, it just dazzles me by brilliantly illuminating a big cloud of steam from all my wheezing and my sweaty fat face.)

I would definitely recommend one if the price is right. Mine was a bargain, bought second hand off here, result! :O)
 StuDoig 28 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I've one of the Tikka RXPs and it's been really good for running, esp with my wife as I now inadvertently blind here about 75% less often per run.....

Only circumstances I've found it lacking have been when cycling (anything reflective, or traveling towards you gives it a false high feedback resulting in it dimming), or when doing stuff that involves looking towards people using torches as well (their torches trigger the sensor and make it think it's lighter than it is, again dimming the torch).

My wife has the ReVolt and likes it for running through the winter (forest trails mostly). Definitely bright enough for that.

Both can be charged directly via USB, but the battery supplied with the ReVolt was rubbish, replaced with a different set of rechargeables and works a charm though.

Have a look at fenix torches. I've only used their bigger ones, but they've been good torches (though not the best headbands).

Cheers,

Stuart
 Ridge 28 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I've had the Led Lenser H7R.2 for a year and really like it. Very nice clear circle of light for running, but can be focused to a spot if needed. The rear red LED is also a bonus for running on roads. Feels secure and not too heavy, burn times are pretty much as described. Also can dial the power setting right back using the rear wheel/light thingy so you don't blind yourself with reflected light doing close up work

Instructions could be better, and if buying cheap off amazon or similar may come with a european plug for the charger, but not an issue as I've loads of UK Plug to USB connectors kicking around the house. Also can turn on in your pocket unless you lock it 'off'.

This is much better than the supplied instructions I got for finding out how to programme/lock the light:

https://www.ledlenser.com/fileadmin/downloads/manuals/SMART_INSTRUCTION_CAR...

colinakmc 29 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:
I've got a petzl tikka plus with which I'm very happy, ( the older, non computerised one) and it's wee brother for a spare, can't remember its name. Either is fine for running but I wouldn't like to go mountain biking with them as my only light source. Battery life excellent and all done with aaa's located in the light housing.
 Siward 29 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Item number 351070204799

I have two of these and cannot complain at all. A case of 'same factory' syndrome?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...