Food in Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 27 Sep 2015
I had a particularly nice ripe piece of Camembert for my tea tonight and it made me think of one of my trip to the Pyrenees about twenty years ago.

I was passing a farm advertising local cheese so I bought some. It was a bit like brie or camembert and was about half a kilo. I had a little of it each day as a snack and, if I remember, I eventually polished it off about ten days later whilst having lunch somewhere near Cauterets. By then it was well ripe!

Anyone else got any similar tales?
 radddogg 27 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I once opened a family bag of Doritos and ate the whole pack to myself, then opened a sharing pack of licorice allsorts and ate the whole pack to myself.

Did I say I once did that? I meant most nights I do that...
OP mypyrex 27 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> I once opened a family bag of Doritos and ate the whole pack to myself, then opened a sharing pack of licorice allsorts and ate the whole pack to myself.

> Did I say I once did that? I meant most nights I do that...

I was thinking more in terms of food stashed in rucksacks for protracted periods.
 radddogg 27 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Yeah food doesn't last too long in my rucksack
 pec 27 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Once on a winter climbing trip up to Scotland my mate had some brie with him. Goodness knows why but for some reason it ended up getting put into one of his climbing socks which got left behind in the rear passenger footwells of my car along with all the crap which accumulates there (I use them as a bin). For several weeks I noticed the car was getting to smell worse and worse until I was eventually forced to have a clear out and discovered the offending sock/cheese combination. I did return it to him but can't remember if he actually ate it, I'll have to ask him next time I see him.
Thanks for the post, I'd forgotten all about that incident.
OP mypyrex 27 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

disgusting
 Pbob 27 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

In 1992 whilst backpacking around europe I found myself buying a tin of something in a shop in Prague which turned out to be cod roe pate. 6 weeks later, having returned to blighty, I found it at the bottom of my pack. I still have it, unopened. Thinking of flogging it to rogue nation as a biological weapon of mass distruction.
Rigid Raider 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Cod roe? That's fish eggs isn't it? I had a chicken's egg for breakfast today.
 hokkyokusei 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

There's an emergency loaf of soreen in the bottom of my rucksack and I've no idea how long it's been there.
 deacondeacon 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I had a babies used (number two) nappy in the bottom of my rucksack. Mate I was climbing with said "I bet that's still in there the next time we go climbing". Sure enough I opened my rucksack and the nappy fell out. I have a photo of it somewhere.
We didn't eat it.
 SenzuBean 28 Sep 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:
> I had a babies used (number two) nappy in the bottom of my rucksack. Mate I was climbing with said "I bet that's still in there the next time we go climbing". Sure enough I opened my rucksack and the nappy fell out. I have a photo of it somewhere.

> We didn't eat it.

That's nothing. Once in winter I was waiting next to a park to be picked up, and left my bags briefly unattended while I visited the loo. When I came back, my ride was waiting. Unbeknownst to me, a toddler had climbed into my rucksack and zipped himself up. We drove to our destination despite the car making odd noises in the back. There was a long walk in, and eventually we found ourselves on the fifth pitch with me on the lead. I called to my partner "There's too much ice here!! I'm gonna send down a bight of rope for you to put my crampons on!!" The wind was howling so it was difficult to hear, but he got my message. Then I heard an almighty scream and a softer scream too. I was not far from slipping off so I yelled "Stop screaming and give me the friggin' crampons!" but I didn't get a reply. "What the f*&^ is going on!!!" I screamed with all my might, but all I could hear over the wind was something along the lines of "there's a lady at the crag" - so I yelled back down "So!? Stop gawking and behave yourself!!" Eventually I figured something was wrong, so precariously downclimbed to find that my partner was busy trying to wipe clean the soiled toddler and crampons with the snow. Suffice to say we decided to retreat, but we couldn't find any moss - so we had to ab off the baby.
Post edited at 18:48
 Bulls Crack 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I once ate my rucksack in the Andes
 nathan79 28 Sep 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

It doesn't matter how long it's been there. Soreen is immortal. None of the loafs I have in my stash are anywhere near in date.
 bouldery bits 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I have a bar of Kendal mint cake which is my 'emergency rations' and has been now for over a decade. Comes on every adventure!
 marsbar 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

A packet of mini cheddars eventually fell out of the pointy end of my sea kayak about a year after I last saw them.
 flopsicle 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I found a mummified banana in my wall bag. The writing on the bag is brown now. I didn't eat it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...