Sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MattCrees 25 Sep 2015
Hi

I am looking for a sleeping bag for a mix of camping in spring/summer/autumn and taking with me on day hikes in all seasons (I like to take a sleeping bag in case of emergencys on the hills. As a result I'm after something lightweight and a small pack side, so these tend to point towards a down bag.

I was looking at a RAB Ascent and either the 500 (at £165) or the 700 (at £187).

Any one used either for use in hopefully all parts of the UK? Or care to offer other suggestions!

Thanks

Matt
 TobyA 25 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:

Do you carry a bothy bag or a bivvy bag as well as a sleeping bag for day hikes? Can't see how a sleeping bag would help much without, or indeed what type of emergencies on a day hike a sleeping bag would be need for.
 gethin_allen 25 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:

Taking a sleeping bag everywhere with you all year! This is rather excessive IMO. Have you considered just getting a bothy bag? They are smaller, lighter, waterproof, and multiple people can get in one to keep spirits high in case of emergency.
A down bag isn't really ideal for emergency situations as in such cases you are more likely to get wet and the bag won't work very well.
MattCrees 25 Sep 2015
Thanks both.

It's something I've always liked to take out over the years when out and about by myself in the hills/mountains of the UK, but happy for any advice as I'm by no means an expert!

The bothy/bivy are on my to get list for my upcomming adventure.

Matt
In reply to MattCrees:
Jesus mate ditch the Sbag and all the other Crap that your probably packing
I don't know anyone who carries a Sbag everywhere they go especially not 1.1kg bag!
Get urself fitter & more confident if that's doable and ditch all unnecessary items And ur hill days will be greatly improved & enjoyed

As above by all means carry a Bivi or bothy bag for emergencies
I don't but I do most hills(3 Season) with an Osprey Talon 11
Which incluses a small msr Stove for Tea in that !
Post edited at 19:44
 Dave the Rave 25 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:
I don't see much wrong with your sleeping bag plan. I used to take a summer weight one and an emergency bag. Now I prefer a good insulated jacket, buffalo salopettes and a bothy, depending on the venue(ie Scotland and the weather).
Don't let lightweight officianados put you off what you think is safe. It's your decision at the end of the day. If you can carry it, still complete your objective and it makes you happy, then pack what you want
Post edited at 19:58
 Welsh Kate 25 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:

Blizzard bags are an alternative to consider. I carry one in winter, and along with a group shelter you've a good set-up for shelter when dealing with a serious emergency, or if benighted.
 IPPurewater 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:
+1 for this option Matt. Lighter and cheaper too. Not so affected by moisture also.
Post edited at 10:23
MattCrees 26 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:

Thanks all. I'll order a blizzard bag.

Bimble 27 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:

I've used the Ascent 500 for the last 3 years, and bar mid-winter it's been superb. Warm, comfy, plenty of room and packs down very small.
I'm more than happy with it.
 TobyA 27 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:
> It's something I've always liked to take out over the years when out and about by myself in the hills/mountains of the UK, but happy for any advice as I'm by no means an expert!

I doubt a kilo is going to make much difference for most of us over a day's hill walking but if you don't have a survival bag or a bothy bag I don't think a sleeping bag would be much use in an emergency. You need to be able to get out of rain/snow and wind primarily in difficult situation and a sleeping bag isn't very good at that, particularly not a down bag. If you, say, broke an ankle and had to sit out a night in bad weather waiting for the MRT to find you, I really don't think a sleeping bag would help you much unless the weather was perfect. You need and old school survival bag or, better, a small bothy bag. Add in a duvet jacket as well of some type and sitting on your rucksack you'd be in a better position to make it through the night. I'm just interested in what sort of situation you think the sleeping bag might help with - particularly if you don't have that other stuff (or a mat)?

But for 3 season camping a good 500 fill down bag like that Rab one would be great. You can probably find one of similar warmth a bit lighter, but they get more expensive as they do! Alpkit's version around that amount of fill would be worth considering too - everyone seems to love them!
Post edited at 21:56
 andrewmc 28 Sep 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Given that you lose more heat into the floor than into the air, a sleeping mat is probably more useful than a bag (also as you (TobyA) and everyone else says, completely useless without a bivvi/survival bag!). If you (the OP) are thinking of bringing a sleeping bag I suspect you already have an excess of spare clothes to wrap up in...
Post edited at 21:36
 bouldery bits 28 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:

Whilst a sleeping bag for day hikes seems OTT at best I'm going to ignore that and answer the question.

Rab sleeping bags, in my experience, are well made and represent good value. If you considered going lighter...

http://www.rockrun.com/rab-module-top-bag

Its a top bag only but used with other kit it could be a good option!
 ablackett 29 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees:

If you want to carry it everywhere then for 480g I don't think you can do better than this one from british company Hangar 18. I test a good amount of their gear and the sleeping bags really are good. I tried one combined with one of their down jackets at -20degrees in Iceland once, it would have been find with some warmer socks! Toasty warm at the RAB this weekend, despite clear skies at the end of September.

http://www.h18orr.com/products/down-sleeping-bag?variant=226366218

Mike Conlon 29 Sep 2015
In reply to MattCrees: Matt, excuse my impertinence but coming from an old fashioned scouting background, I used to take a sleeping bag and the kitchen sink on hikes and mountain days. Consequently I pretty much hated hiking for many years. Only recently have I been able to afford some more technical kit and observed others going light and romping off. At the weekend I did the Aonach Eagagh, in my bag I had a good waterproof, a lightweight down jacket and a soft shell together with the other odd essentials. I was tempted to look for stuff to fill my bag up ! This time it was me that romped off and I thoroughly enjoyed the tough trek. On a previous traverse of the AE, we took bivy gear etc and coincidently were slow and got benighted. The challenge for me is to develop confidence in this new fangled kit (and to afford it), but I am no longer dreading some of these longer walk ins.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...